UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 19th Jan 2020, 12:13 pm   #1
walkerbank
Diode

Default Berry Magicoal 478 - coal effect plastic section

Hi - can anyone help me to find a replacement for the coal effect plastic section of a Magicoal fire? I am attaching a photo of the fire.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Berry Magicoal 478.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	197386  
walkerbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2020, 9:37 pm   #2
broadgage
Octode

Default Re: Berry Magicoal 478 - coal effect plastic section

If no one can suggest a source, then you might consider making a new fuel effect, or repairing the old one.

GRP modelling materials are readily available. If your modelling skills are not up to this it might be worth asking a model railway group if anyone can assist. Many railway modellers make very realistic hills, mountains, cuttings etc.

Alternatively a local theatre group might have a skilled prop maker who can make what you want.
broadgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2020, 10:10 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

That looks like something which could be used as the former for 'vacuum-forming'.

Basically, you put something like clingfilm over the original, then fit it on top of an airtight box. Layer resin-saturated GRP-tissue over the top, and then use a vacuum-cleaner to suck the air out from underneath. The new GRP tissue gets sucked tight over the original, so it follows all the original contours.

Then once the resin's gone-off, the clingfilm acts as a 'release' so you can peel the old thing away from underneath your newly-moulded replacement.

I've used this technique to re-create a bunch of 1970s car-dashboard panels/inserts, and it works remarkably well.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 6:39 pm   #4
The Philpott
Nonode

...How much heat is that coal-effect section exposed to with the lamps on underneath..? Is it definitely plastic?
Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 10:09 pm   #5
broadgage
Octode

The ones that I have seen look as though they are made of GRP, which is somewhat heat resistant.
They get hot in use and become brittle, but I have never seen a melted one.
broadgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 12:54 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

The ones I have seen have had a sheet of rippled glass arranged over the fan that gets rotated by the heat of the lamp to produce the flicker. The glass spreads the heated air over a wider area than if it were absent and probably also absorbs and redistributes some of the radiant heat from the bulb.
emeritus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 2:31 pm   #7
John10b
Octode

I prefer my Berry Fire, the main reason being it is almost silent in operation unlike our modern fire which is noisy, unfortunately Iíve been outvoted and the Berry is no longer in the house.
John
John10b is online now   Reply With Quote