UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 24th Nov 2019, 10:42 pm   #1
Robsradio
Pentode

Default Wanted. Blue emergency service road lamp

Evening,
I have a small collection of amber road lamps in my hobby room and would now like to diversify so does anybody have a blue emergency services road warning lamp or one with any other colour lens?
Thanks
Rob
Robsradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2019, 4:34 am   #2
Bear2Biker
Diode

Default Re: Wanted. Blue emergency service road lamp

Hi Rob,

I think I've got an old police type one similar, you twist the top to activate a strobe tube, it still worked when i picked it up a few years ago from a clear-up job we were doing (fallen trees blocking roads) I fancied doing something with the tube & lens but never got round to it, I think it's in one of my junk boxes.

I'll track it down and post a pic if you like, any interest and you can have it for the postage (I'll remove the lantern battery beforehand).

Paul
Bear2Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2019, 1:37 pm   #3
Robsradio
Pentode

Thanks Paul, I have sent you a PM
Cheers
Rob
Old 1st Dec 2019, 9:34 pm   #4
Robsradio
Pentode

Here are a couple of photos of the type of lamp I am looking for.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D064F836-A1A5-4E99-8131-9AD2E91F78C6.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	194723   Click image for larger version

Name:	4DA3C322-68B2-4F23-942A-F5A3E2C02811.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	194724  
Old 4th Dec 2019, 1:42 pm   #5
Robsradio
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2Biker View Post
Hi Rob,

I think I've got an old police type one similar, you twist the top to activate a strobe tube, it still worked when i picked it up a few years ago from a clear-up job we were doing (fallen trees blocking roads) I fancied doing something with the tube & lens but never got round to it, I think it's in one of my junk boxes.

I'll track it down and post a pic if you like, any interest and you can have it for the postage (I'll remove the lantern battery beforehand).

Paul
Any joy in finding it, have PMd you but not had a reply?
Rob
Old 4th Dec 2019, 3:17 pm   #6
Sinewave
Octode

I've got one, but it's a mag based one with the rotating mirror type. Ex film set, working. Not the type you're after though.
Old 4th Dec 2019, 8:20 pm   #7
Robsradio
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
I've got one, but it's a mag based one with the rotating mirror type. Ex film set, working. Not the type you're after though.
Appreciate the offer, but as you guessed, not the type Iím looking for, but thanks anyway
Rob
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 4:38 pm   #8
Robsradio
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2Biker View Post
Hi Rob,

Paul
Hi Paul
Have you had any joy finding the lamp?
Regards
Rob
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 10:18 pm   #9
broadgage
Octode

These turn up regularly on ebay.
There are three different technologies used in blue road lamps.

Some use a filament bulb like the orange road lights. Often a 5 volt 90ma bulb which gives a minimal light.
Better quality lamps used a xenon flash tube for a much improved light.
The newest ones use blue LEDs.

Replacing a failed bulb is easy. Xenon tubes not so, and LEDs an interesting challenge as they may be hard to get at.
Most use standard 6 volt lantern batteries.

I once saw in a catalogue a blue road lamp that used a 4.75 volt 0.5amp torch bulb for "a greatly improved light" never seen one in the wild though.
broadgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 10:57 pm   #10
turretslug
Dekatron

I thought that there might be restrictions on second-hand availability on this sort of item- just occasionally in the past there have been cases where someone bad, mad or sad has used fake emergency services lights for nefarious purposes. Every now and then, eBay embargo various things when there is negative publicity.

Of course, someone slightly resourceful could make one up with filters, blue LEDs etc. anyway, but it makes ill intent harder if something isn't available off-the-shelf.
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 11:10 pm   #11
Robsradio
Pentode

These are available new off the shelf to anybody, but I am looking for something used with a bit of age.
I think the problems arise when vehicles are fitted with emergency service blue lights to pretend to be something they are not.
I am looking for road lamps, they are just a blue lens version of the amber and red types.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 11:33 pm   #12
turretslug
Dekatron

Thanks for that enlightenment, Rob- I have to admit that as I'd never been on the lookout for such a thing, I'd never investigated their public availability and assumed that supply would be restricted, especially as society gets ever more nervous about all sorts of things, thanks to the ill-intentioned fringe! I'm reminded of a hairdresser who was spitting nails about having to jump through hoops and trawl around to get enough hydrogen peroxide for her business. Plenty of other examples of things that used to be freely available but now raise eyebrows.

Good luck with your quest, Colin
turretslug is offline   Reply With Quote