UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2020, 3:40 pm   #1
RadioHist
Pentode

Default UK super-regen set makers in 1920s ???

Folks,
I have vague recollections that BVWS luminary Pat Leggatt mentioned some 30+ years ago that a few UK makers attempted to market home wireless sets circa 1922-24 that used Armstrong's Super-regenerative circuit. Can anyone name these makers?
They were a flop apparently because of difficulties in operation and the fact that the self oscillating quench scheme created too much 'hash' in the audio output, especially for low level modulation of voice and music. when used to tune medium wave bands. Of course some ten years later, amateurs began to find that they worked dandy at VHF frequencies for point-to-point high level modulation voice communications.
Apparently there were only two USA makers offering kits of parts to build sets in late 1922. The Radio Guild, Inc. and Sleeper Radio Corp. and none seem to survive.
For 40+ years I've had in my collection a home brew super-regen that I recently donated to the Antique Wireless Museum in Bloomfield, NY. It may be the only surviving example designed for medium wave broadcast reception attempted here in the USA in the 20s. They would like to assemble a documentation package for the set. I would like to credit any other makers such as might have been in the UK.
Thanks,
Robert
Closed Thread