UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2020, 11:15 am   #1
Chris 1155
Tetrode

Default Heathkit Frequency counter SM 4130

Hello,
I have got a SM 1413 Frequency counter and am trying to dismantle it for repairs.
I have a problem removing the control knobs which have no visible means of retention, ie grub screws or collets.
They appear to be stuck on with superglue although I doubt if this was the original method.
Does anyone have any experience with removing Heathkit knobs?
I would welcome any advice.
73 Chris.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 11:36 am   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: Heathkit Frequency counter SM 4130

Hello Chris

The knobs I've encountered from the the 50s / 60s were held by grub screw.
Perhaps a picture of the the ones you have will job memory?
Old 7th Jan 2020, 11:42 am   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Some later (1970s, 1980s) Heathkit knobs were supplied as 2 parts. A bushing that pushed onto the control spindle and the outer part which also carried the pointer or whatever. The idea was you fitted the bushing, turned the control to a particular point, put the outer on with the pointer in the right place, then removed them together and pressed the bushing firmly into the knob, never to come out again. The result was a knob that was a push-fit onto the spindle. There's no grub screw, collet or anything like that.

However, with time the bushings could work loose on the spindle. At which point people would glue them in place. This is perhaps what has happened to yours.
Old 7th Jan 2020, 9:11 pm   #4
Chris 1155
Tetrode

Thanks for the comments Pete and Tony,
There were defiantly no fixing retainers so after a little gentle butchery I have managed to remove the knobs but with some damage. I will be able to repair them with a little bit of turning.
Now to fix the nonworking led digit. Otherwise it all seems to be OK.
Chris G4BYZ
Closed Thread