UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2021, 8:24 pm   #21
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Where is the random wrong punctuation coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post

However, TV is an abbreviation, so I'd certainly pluralise it as TV's where the apostrophe denotes not possession, but missing letters.
With very few exceptions it is accepted practice today for abbreviations and acronyms to be expressed in capital letters and pluralised by the simple addition of the letter s. An apostrophe denotes possession although it is sometimes used to replace missing letters in which case you'd arrive at t'v's for televisions. Search Google if you don't believe me.

Alan
Agreed 100%.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 8:32 pm   #22
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

That would be well clear enough for me and most sane folks just like a bunch of free, working PX25's....
How many?!
Old 28th Oct 2021, 8:37 pm   #23
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

That would be well clear enough for me and most sane folks just like a bunch of free, working PX25's....
How many?!
21 in bunches of 3's

Lawrence.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 8:38 pm   #24
stevehertz
Dekatron

And while we're being pedantic, when prefixing a word with a quantity it is normal practice to use written words when the number or quantity is ten or below, or numbers when it's above ten. So, eight valves or 22 capacitors.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 8:49 pm   #25
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
I always think of it's as being possessive as well and/or an abbreviation of 'it is', so I'd have written that as:

It's a chair and it's seat is upholstered.
It's the exception to the rule though. A possessive form with no apostrophe. That's why it catches people out.

As my English teacher said "You wouldn't say the dog followed it is owner, would you?
Correctly, it should be:

It's a chair and its seat is upholstered.

The third person singular pronouns are: him, her, it

In possessive form they are: his, her, its. After all, you wouldn't write his as hi's, would you? And the feminine form doesn't even end with "s"! (though there is the 'other' possessive form, his, hers, its).
Old 28th Oct 2021, 8:53 pm   #26
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
And while we're being pedantic, when prefixing a word with a quantity it is normal practice to use written words when the number or quantity is ten or below, or numbers when it's above ten. So, eight valves or 22 capacitors.
Or 7 Days....

Lawrence.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 8:54 pm   #27
slidertogrid
Octode

I wasn't in any doubt that anyone would be confused by TVs TV's or TV;s what I was curious about was where all the random punctuation had come from as if I had got it wrong on the original title it wouldn't then change twice on its own. (would it?) I wondered if there was some sort of forum spellcheck 'bot having a blue fit somewhere!
I had a leaflet promoting one of the local political groups, on the back it had a section on where to get local help and advice including "Help with CV's" Not sure I would want them to help me with mine..

Rich.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 10:03 pm   #28
IanG3XYV
Pentode

The other common error is in correct use of there, their and they're:-

They're sitting in their chairs over there.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 10:41 pm   #29
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Don't get me started on "you're" (...you are), now very commonly mis-written as 'your'.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 11:18 pm   #30
Skywave
Rest in Peace

I do realise that these days many people seem to be in a hurry, so it is very tempting to use abbreviations - such as 'TVs' - and similar. But to avoid possible confusion, it takes very little extra effort to write 'TV sets', clearly meaning more than one 'TV', or even simply to write 'Televisions'.

Slightly veering off on a tangent, but within the thread title of punctuation, what I do find annoying is the very common misuse of the colon and the semicolon.

Another example is using " when repeating what someone has said.
Example:
He said "The fox jumped over the lazy dog". That is correct, but
He said, quote, "The fox jumped over the lazy dog" unquote is incorrect, since when the words 'quote' & 'unquote' are used, the " " are not applicable.

I could get really boring and go on for pages on this topic, but I'm sure to everyone's relief, I shall desist!

Al. / Oct. 28th.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 11:37 pm   #31
AdrianH
Octode

Reading this lot is it's clear. Grammar police do exist.

Adrian
Old 28th Oct 2021, 11:58 pm   #32
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I can recommend Lynne Truss's amusing and informative book, Eats, Shoots & Leaves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eats,_Shoots_%26_Leaves, to anyone who's looking for a reasonably consistent set of punctuation rules. She does accept the use of the 1960's, with the apostrophe, to describe the decade though.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 29th Oct 2021, 12:12 am   #33
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
what I was curious about was where all the random punctuation had come from as if I had got it wrong on the original title it wouldn't then change twice on its own. (would it?) I wondered if there was some sort of forum spellcheck 'bot having a blue fit somewhere!
Any spelling and grammar checking is, I think, native to whatever machine you are creating text on. This Apple has a liking for suggesting the wrong ones of they're , their, it's, its. and all the usuals. Apple must have got a job lot of apostrophes from some chain of bankrupt grocer's shops, while the rest seems random.

The forum does scan for a collection of unacceptable words, so you can't say ***, ****, *******, or even **************.

David
Old 29th Oct 2021, 12:33 am   #34
emeritus
Dekatron

I would not use an apostrophe for " We did it that way in the 1960s" because that is not a posessive, but I would for " 1960s' practice was to ..." . because that is a posessive, meaning "The practice of the 1960s was to.." If it was the practice of the single year 1960, then it would be "1960's practice".

At my junior school in East London circa 1955 (Victorian building and probably Victorian- or Edwardian- trained teachers) I remember doing exercises in reported speech where we used single quotes for what the person said, double quotes for what the person had said another person had said, single quotes for the next person and so on, writing sentences such as Fred said ' John said " Peter said 'Jane said "Mother said that my brother said ' My dog is the best ' " ' " '. I can't recall ever having had to use that sort of reported speech construction in real life!

Last edited by emeritus; 29th Oct 2021 at 12:46 am. Reason: Typos
Old 29th Oct 2021, 1:15 am   #35
emeritus
Dekatron

Sorry, meant to say the first quote was double, second single, third double etc. It's been a long day!
Old 29th Oct 2021, 5:39 am   #36
G.Castle
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Apple must have got a job lot of apostrophes from some chain of bankrupt grocer's shops.
David

Our local green grocer, a well educated person, would paint his special offers on the inside of the window of his shop with whitewash and make deliberate errors to amuse, baffle, and deceive.

A few years ago I visited the shop to buy fruit, and applauded the owner on the special he had painted on his window:

"COXS'S APPLE'S, 6's, FOUR A POUND"

I bought 6.

They cost £1-80.

We all make errors, but one style I find hard to follow is where posts are typed in one long paragraph with no punctuation whatsoever.

Last edited by G.Castle; 29th Oct 2021 at 6:01 am. Reason: punctuation!
Old 29th Oct 2021, 8:06 am   #37
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Castle View Post
We all make errors, but one style I find hard to follow is where posts are typed in one long paragraph with no punctuation whatsoever.
I fully agree with that, but I don't think we should get too uptight about perfect Grammar and typing; most of us are getting on a bit to get 10/10 for every piece of work .

B
Old 29th Oct 2021, 8:46 am   #38

Stephen Fry calls Lynne Truss "That bl**dy apostrophe woman".

Old 29th Oct 2021, 9:13 am   #39
stevehertz
Dekatron

I did a technical writing course as part of my City & Guilds electronics course. The basic premise of which was that what you write should be totally unambiguous. That makes total sense to me and I also strongly believe that the same should apply to everyday speech and writing. The use of proper English particularly punctuation, is not rocket science, and for some reason for decades now pupils are not exiting schools with a high standard of English grammar, written or spoken. Want proof? Spend some time on Facebook, every thread contains posts that are "eats shoots and leaves", ie multiple meanings. Seriously, lives can be lost due to the use of poor English.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 9:31 am   #40
Station X

On that note it's time to close this thread with a full stop!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread