UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2021, 10:17 am   #1
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Default The Mongrel Valve NBTV

HI all i am working on a valve low def Monitor this time 32 line baby steps for me with Valves hollow state tech !
I am happy with the input video inverter ,video amp, and 2 Phantastron time base oscillators ...
I used the 2 Phantastron oscillators from this monitor Chris long made in the 70s nothing else from this circuit.
I have used a few sync separator circuits only one with promise has been the transitron sync separator...but very touchy i am not sure but the phantastron oscillators are hard to sync and have to be set up every time and levels and such.
Has any one got a NBTV Valve sync separator circuit the out put for the line looks messy but does sync the line oscillator the framing i am still working on .
I am going to use it with a 3bp1 in time but working on the circuits here first before trying to hook up the CRT .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6SL7 Inverter 3 (1).gif
Views:	185
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	242577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6628.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	242578   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6615.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	242579   Click image for larger version

Name:	phan005.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	242580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 00013 (1).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	242581  

Old 3rd Oct 2021, 10:41 am   #2
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Default Re: The Mongrel Valve NBTV

The result of syncing the line is below not to bad when it behaves, but i have to adjust oscillators line frequency control close to the 400hz line frequency before it locks ..

I first tried this NBTV sync separator but it didn't seem to work so switched to the one in the last post .

I am at the moment working on the deflection amplifiers using the circuit in the scope schematic or half of it at the moment with the signal input ,my understanding is its a push pull but to me it looks to me like its amplified sawtooth is to one set of deflection plates and the other is just voltage adjusted to move the display either side ? any case the one triode side amplified saw tooth side of the circuit works .

i have a made a few monitors all transistor ic jobs so i am a bit of newy here learning to do it all again from scratch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6660.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	242582   Click image for larger version

Name:	addtext_com_MjI1NjA1MzgxMDQ.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	242583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6632.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	242584   Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	242585  
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 11:05 am   #3
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Hard to put all your thoughts in one post so here it go's the start of all this ,i always wanted to used some thing from my valve collection sitting unloved in 2 draws in my shed some useful ones for this shown below so it was always on my to do list to make a vacuum tube TV and baby steps make a NBTV one which i am used to /
i have a case for this project shown below ready but now am in 2 minds as to casing it just as a monitor , i really like this transformer be a pity to lock it away in my project not not being able to access the voltages for any thing else i fancy to build in the future ...i am thinking of putting in banana sockets making it a CRT or valve project power supply as well .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6555.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	242586   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6552.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	242587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harry's Tube Display 2-Model.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	242592   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6551.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	242593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6578.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	242594  

Old 3rd Oct 2021, 11:23 am   #4
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Now to mounted the board you saw in above posts a little earlier ...the boards with circuits now but before i wanted to know how to mount them ,i didn't fancy the old way of mounting the valve sockets in metal case stuck with working with the case up side down and trying to drill large metal holes neat .!
Now simple matter of screwing in the boards one go once they work ,then just hook up controls at that stage.

So now back to the future i am working on the circuits and the problems in the first posts any ideas welcome on the sync sep and or deflection amplifiers .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6600.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	242595   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6594.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	242596   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6599.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	242597   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6610.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	242598  
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 12:05 pm   #5
AdrianH
Octode

Hello there.

You peaked my interest in the NBTV with your comments on my Youtube channel. I am still working on the home made 405 line TV, but I did look at the forum you mentioned and could well venture into the field at some point. I have a few questions if I may?

I have a Hackrf-one and found some software that I use called HackTV this can generate various narrow band systems: -
30-am = No colour, 12.5 fps, 30 lines, AM
nbtv-am = No colour, 12.5 fps, 32 lines, AM

as well as the system used on some of the Apollo missions, so I am hoping this can be used to test anything I may build later.

Australia seems to be the centre for NBTV interest, is it used over amateur radio and how well does it match with the SSTV systems out there?

Watching your project with interest.

Stay safe.

Adrian
Old 4th Oct 2021, 5:37 am   #6
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
Hello there.

You peaked my interest in the NBTV with your comments on my Youtube channel. I am still working on the home made 405 line TV, but I did look at the forum you mentioned and could well venture into the field at some point. I have a few questions if I may?
Hi Adrian No worries i have to try 405 line some time as well ,another on my to do list !
I think i have to have another go at a second 405 line CRT as a flying spot camera for a signal test card such ...i am not clever enough for standards converter and rather go old school which is more fun for me .

Quote:
I have a Hackrf-one and found some software that I use called HackTV this can generate various narrow band systems: -
30-am = No colour, 12.5 fps, 30 lines, AM
nbtv-am = No colour, 12.5 fps, 32 lines, AM

as well as the system used on some of the Apollo missions, so I am hoping this can be used to test anything I may build later.
MMMi have never heard of Hack tv i will have to have a look i use FreeNBTV which you can adjust it to any line rate frame rate with in reason always need to take into account its all in Audio bandwidth of your PC sound card so thats the real limit even if the line a frame rates can be outputted at what ever ..i think it can do FSC as well but not tried it .
https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum...enbtv&start=45
latest version can be found on this page no instructions but read the pages and it will sink in .
Gary M older software here viewers and such for 32 60 line
https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum...hp?f=41&t=2745
And of cause Dom B NBSC which does many standards more so in colour
http://authorityfile.co.uk/NBSC/Home/Downloads

Steve Anderson has posts up on the Moon mission TV system may be of interest
https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum...php?f=8&t=3059

Quote:
Australia seems to be the centre for NBTV interest, is it used over amateur radio and how well does it match with the SSTV systems out there?

Watching your project with interest.

Stay safe.
Well Yes there was a lot of early mechanical television interest in Australia still a few hard core fans like me chris long Troy walters ..i think this you tube video will answer that Question .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YY2jFVeHo&t=601s

BTW if you are on FB my early television channel here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/170508300223659

Adrian[/QUOTE]
Old 4th Oct 2021, 9:13 am   #7
AdrianH
Octode

I have watched the video on Youtube a few times to get the gist of things. I am not on Facebook as I do not like the platform, but that's a personal preference.

Software I also find sometimes to be a bit restrictive as I run Linux (Ubuntu) and looks as though much of the software is Windows only based. I am sure there will be alternatives, just have to do some digging for it.

Cheers

Adrian
Old 4th Oct 2021, 11:14 am   #8
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
I have watched the video on Youtube a few times to get the gist of things. I am not on Facebook as I do not like the platform, but that's a personal preference.

Software I also find sometimes to be a bit restrictive as I run Linux (Ubuntu) and looks as though much of the software is Windows only based. I am sure there will be alternatives, just have to do some digging for it.

Cheers

Adrian
I don't use Facebook as others just a storage place for thousands of early television photos reports and such i make use of the storage .

There isn't to much Linux Software for NBTV some times you have to work with the devil to get what you want i think there's a fair bit of SSTV related software for that but NBTV mmmm

Below out of interest are my other monitors The DEVIL,THE BEAST, THE BINOCULAR ...all pretty much multi system to some exstent ..i think its very limiting to make a CRT monitor to one system when it can do many .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7210.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	242708   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6232.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	242709   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6311.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	242710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 00119.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	242711   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9762.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	242712  

Old 14th Oct 2021, 5:09 am   #9
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

I was thinking it was time to hook the CRT up a 3BP1 but looks like i still have to learn more about the deflection side ! i was expecting better this shameful !
I really only have one axis deflection plate working either axis at the moment still this is pretty small ~ ! only good thing so far nothing blew up ! and it seems to be behaving, not that i can see to much yet but linearity looks ok
This morning i had nothing even to power the CRT up so better than nothing and made no wiring mistakes which you sure find out soon enough at these voltages...got look on the bright side
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6678.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	243367   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6679.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	243368   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6681.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	243369   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6675.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	243370  
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 11:14 am   #10
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Results a bit better today still need to improve the deflection amplifier results but this where I am up to today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDxzkl-d2y8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6684.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	243937   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6685.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	243938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6700.jpg