UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2019, 10:24 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Meter in Aldi

Spotted this a week or so ago, but I've not been on PC, so it's slipped my mind.
Seemed not a bad buy for starters. Especially at short of £10
It was on sale in Aldi, may also be in a few stores, but it's also available on line
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-mult...12320273025300
Old 29th Apr 2019, 11:40 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Meter

It is good for most domestic jobs however there is no AC amps ranges.
They will only be in stock for a week or so if you are doing a repair away from home and have forgotten your DMM.
Old 30th Apr 2019, 12:54 am   #3
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Meter in Aldi

I'd beg to differ- the "~" under the "A" sign suggests otherwise.
Old 30th Apr 2019, 4:42 am   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Although listed as Cat 3, but only 250V, not sure I would feel comfortable using it on any 240v mains circuits.

Nice pdf from Fluke about the various CAT ratings here for the curious:-

https://content.fluke.com/promotions...guidelines.pdf
Old 30th Apr 2019, 9:47 am   #5
paulsherwin

I think the forum consensus is that no very cheap meter is suitable for electrical supply work where the voltages are not current limited. You won't find many sparkies using £10 meters.
Old 30th Apr 2019, 10:44 am   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I saw the Aldi one a few weeks ago in our local Aldi. Plenty still there. A very limited spec. For not much more, (£13.95 post free from a UK supplier), you can get a much better specification Toolzone EL060 which includes transistor testing and capacitance, DC to 1,000V and AC to 700V. (And no, I wouldn't be inclined to measure current up to 20A with it, but as a hobbyist, why ever would I want to?):

Specification:

• DCV: 200mV-20-200-1000V ....................+/- 0.5%
• ACV: 2v-20v-200 to 700V ......................+/- 0.8%
• DCA:2m-20-200-20A..............................+/-0.8%
• ACA: 20m-200m-20A..............................+/-1.2%
• Ohms:200-2k-20k-200k-2M-20M-20M.......+/-0.8%
• CAP: 200Pf-20n-200n-20Mf...................+/-0.2.5%
• Transistor Test: 1b 10MA Vce 3V
• Diode:3V/0.8Ma

Features:

• Auto Power Off (15 minutes)
• Measurement rate: updates 2-3/sec
• Over range indication: "1" figure only in the display
• Big Liquid Crystal Display 3.5 x 6 cm
• Low Battery Indicator
• Automatic negative polarity indication
• Audible Continuity bleep
• Overload Protection
• Capacitance measurement auto zeroing

Safety compliance:

IEC 61010-1, 2000 CAT II 600V overvoltage standards
• Overvoltage installation categories per IEC 61010-1, 2000: The meter is designed to protect against transients in these categories:
• CAT 1: From high voltage low energy sources, eg. Electronic circuits or a copy machine
• CAT II: From equipment supplied from the fixed installation, eg. TV's PC's, Portable tools and household appliances,
• CAT III: From equipment supplied fixed equipment installation, eg. Installation panels, feeders and short branch circuits and lighting systems in large buildings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Full-Size-D...d=152576722896
Old 30th Apr 2019, 11:02 am   #7
paulsherwin

I was surprised it didn't have a basic transistor test function, as the vast majority of cheap DMMs have that now.

I've never found Aldi/Lidl electrical and electronic stuff to be particularly cheap - not expensive, but no great bargain either. I think the target market is bored men who are being dragged around by their wives and girlfriends doing a grocery shop.
Old 30th Apr 2019, 1:01 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If buying online do check the physical size of a meter. I bought one which was half the size I expected, though it's great for occasional use in my toolbox.
I agree that Lidl and Aldi's tools can be a bit of an impulse buy. I have an excellent belt sander and laser level, but most are average at best. I was tempted by a socket set for £7.99 at Lidl this weekend until I realised the ratchet drivers were another £7.99....
Old 30th Apr 2019, 2:05 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
I think the website description is wrong as the meter clearly has AC current settings.

I'd to with the general opinion that is a fairly typical low cost meter and the price is about right for what it is. It would be fine for hobby and DIY stuff etc, which is the intended market.

Comparing to a professional instrument is unfair as it not in the same league for quality or price.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 30th Apr 2019, 5:00 pm   #10
usradcoll1
Heptode

The US import tool store called "Harbor Freight" has a adverts flyer that comes in the post, that has all kinds of coupons for free items with a purchase. One of the free items was a cheap and cheerful digital meter, similar to the ones shown. Not as many ranges. The higher DC range only shows 250 volts. I thought to myself, the DC range isn't very useful, as I generally work on vacuum tube or valve equipment.
I ran an accuracy check on both ranges. The thing is "spot on", on both AC&DC ranges. That's checking it against a laboratory standard Weston meter. The DC does go up to 600 volts, even though the marking on the selector switch states 250 volts. The test leads are classIII, 1KV rating.
Dave, Midwest USA.
Old 30th Apr 2019, 7:53 pm   #11
The Philpott
Dekatron

It's worth looking at the Aldi DMM just for the customer reviews, good smile value.

The tendency to show 666 or 1666 at switch-on (wherever the decimal point might be) suggests this meter has logic closely related to the EL060. It also has Auto Power Off unfortunately.

Dave
Old 30th Apr 2019, 10:56 pm   #12
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
I think the website description is wrong as the meter clearly has AC current settings.

I'd to with the general opinion that is a fairly typical low cost meter and the price is about right for what it is. It would be fine for hobby and DIY stuff etc, which is the intended market.

Comparing to a professional instrument is unfair as it not in the same league for quality or price.
Quite right -Paul. I mentioned it as a cheap starter for those new to electronics, and then with information can look with an education into what they rally need without sending a fortune initially.
The only caveat, I'd mention ,is that whilst this meter can measure up to at last mains level- I'd hesitate to trust the leads at that level.
Old 2nd May 2019, 8:35 am   #13
Paul_RK
Dekatron

There were several in stock at Aldi Fakenham, reduced to £7.99: at that price it seemed worth adding to the bread, muesli, cheese and yogurt. Time will tell how if at all it complements my existing meters (Russian C-4341 which gets most use, Avo 8 MkII and the sole DMM a Fluke 8000A).

Paul
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:52 pm   #14
Oldcodger
Nonode

I admit, I did look at it and got the same response from SWIMBO as when I look at drills. "You don't need another one". possibly true, as I've got a 5 digit Auto Fluke, an ex BT DVM , a RapidTest DVM and in the car a cheapo mini meter, also DVM.
Closed Thread