UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2021, 10:23 pm   #1
lesparapluies
Pentode

Default Sony HCD-SD1 speaker relay issue

Hello, this doesn't really come under the umbrella of vintage but I hope I can be excused as I'd value anyone's input: this is a "bookshelf" compact FM radio / CD player. It normally works fine but recently it has started randomly going silent. Sometimes a "tap" on the top brings it back. I've diagnosed a faulty speaker relay, as I can hear the relay clicking (or not clicking) at switch-on. Also, headphone socket is not affected, it works normally. Unfortunately, like many similar units, the boards are so tightly packed that it's virtually impossible to test anything in situ due to the short length of the ribbon cables. My worry is that I'll spend ages dismantling it, replace the relay and the fault will still be there. However, the "tap on the top" thing seems to point to a mechanical issue rather than a faulty semiconductor. Would I be correct in suspecting this? I've attached a schematic of the relevant section for perusal - the relay is in the centre, below the 7 and 8. Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 22.06.14.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	244257  
Old 26th Oct 2021, 7:32 am   #2
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: Sony HCD-SD1 speaker relay issue

Although a certain amount of disassembly will still be required, l would try re-flowing the contacts of the relay to the PCB in case you have a dry joint.

If the fault persists it would suggest that you are right about the relay being"sticky".

Hope this helps.

BVWS member
Old 26th Oct 2021, 9:35 am   #3
lesparapluies
Pentode

Default Re: Sony HCD-SD1 speaker relay issue

Thanks for your advice Ken. Since posting I've managed to find exactly the same relay as the original, on eBay for about £6, so I think I'm going to just replace it and see what happens..if it turns out to be something else the fun and games will really begin!
Closed Thread