UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2009, 11:30 pm   #1
Tim
Dekatron

Default "Wander" plugs at Maplin.....

......well not strictly true, but I have just discovered their 4mm banana plugs JB24B(red) and JB25C(black) fit nicely into the sockets on the back of a handy Bush VHF61 I have here under test at the moment. They do have quite a long body though, but generally good news?
Other colours are available in the same design,(which ergo will fit) and screw terminal connections too.

Last edited by Tim; 6th Dec 2009 at 11:50 pm.
Old 7th Dec 2009, 1:10 am   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: "Wander" plugs at Maplin.....

Quote:
fit nicely into the sockets on the back of a handy Bush VHF61
**which are the standard "wander"(approx 1/8th") size
Old 7th Dec 2009, 1:23 am   #3
paulsherwin

That's very strange Tim. Standard 4mm banana plugs are generally too big to fit in a wander plug socket. Some radios were in fact fitted with banana sockets, notably Philips models, but I don't think any Bush ones ever were.

Could you describe the plugs in a bit more detail? If they really will fit, I'll be off to Maplins tomorrow

Paul
Old 7th Dec 2009, 1:34 am   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Hi Paul
These have quite a narrow main shaft and the "diameter" is made up with four spring contacts.. I assure you they do fit, what I would describe as "reliably",one doesn't have to force them, nor do they fall out .

Now the bad news Paul. They're 99p each!

Quote:
notably Philips models
Yes quite a few 30's and 40's models. Quite common on KB sets too.
My calibrated eyball has yet to let me down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0971 (Large).jpg
Views:	503
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	30860   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0972 (Large).jpg
Views:	499
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	30861  

Last edited by Tim; 7th Dec 2009 at 1:50 am.
Old 7th Dec 2009, 1:44 am   #5
paulsherwin

I see what you mean! I'm surprised they fit a standard banana socket without wobbling about - I certainly wouldn't like to use them for my hifi speaker wiring.

Thanks for the tipoff though. I'll definitely be visiting Maplin during the next few days, taking a wander plug socket from the junk box to double check the compatibility. Certainly looks promising

Paul
Old 7th Dec 2009, 8:11 pm   #6
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Yes, they really do !

I have some, and spurred by this thread, have just tried them in an old AVO Minor (the ultimate test !)
Perfect fit, no wobble, reasonable insertion/extraction force, no measurable contact resistance.

You've made an old man very happy !
Old 7th Dec 2009, 9:27 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
Yes, they really do !
Told you so!

Glad to be of help
Old 8th Dec 2009, 7:46 pm   #8
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

They also do gold plated ones at a bit more.
As you have one in front of you can you tell me please what the maximum diametr of wire I can get in to solder please. I want to use them for plug in coils in a transmitter so would not be bothered about having the insulated bit screwed on. Would it be possible to drill out to 1/8th inch?
Pat G3IKR
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:37 pm   #9
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
As you have one in front of you can you tell me please what the maximum diameter of wire I can get in to solder please
My calibrated eyball makes this as near as **** it 2mm. The solder on bit is a hollow pillar(about 1/8" across) so I guess you could file that off and drill a 1/8" hole instead, but I wouldn't like to say how deep you could go or how reliable the process would be. I reckon there would be sufficient material around the hole.
If you actually need 4mm, let me know as I have some with a larger wire capacity.
Old 10th Dec 2009, 12:28 am   #10
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

PM sent.
Pat G3IKR
Old 11th Dec 2009, 7:18 pm   #11
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I use these too .They fit most sets and the Phillips sets too ! I think thay have flexibility to squash for smaller sockets
Closed Thread