UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2006, 11:32 pm   #1
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default valve type systems

It seems that there are several alrge scale valve naming systems around.

Thers the ''common'' (mullard) one with letters representing heater power and functions, such as ECC83 = 6.3v-triode-triode-83.

Also thers the american system which i dont quiet understand, although the 1st number gives the approx heater voltage i think. (but why is it just 6 rather than 6.3? For simplicity? I dont quiet get what the letters mean. But i'm sure thers some kind of list of letters and their meaning.

Also i'm aware of several other systems used in early valves and other things.

but what's the X17 and the Z17 for example? I dont think they follow the normal mullard system, but not the american one either. Is there a nother majour system in use?
Old 20th Apr 2006, 12:45 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: valve type systems

Hi Adi. The Pro-Electron system used by Mullard and Philips was only one of a large number of valve numbering systems used by many manufacturers. It became widely used in Europe after WW2 because it is obviously sensible, but many manufacturers carried on using private systems including Mazda and Cossor.

I believe the American system has something to do with the number of elements in the valve. It's basically an approximate indication of heater voltage followed by a type code followed by the element count, so you have 12AU7 (ECC82), 12AX7 (ECC83) etc.

Best regards, Paul
Old 20th Apr 2006, 7:46 am   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: valve type systems

There is some information on the different type number schemes here http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...numbering.html

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread