UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2006, 6:16 pm   #1
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye poisoning

In another category and thread on this Forum, I mentioned reading an article about one of these Pye "Rising Sun" sets that suffered from bad crumbling Zamak.

Anyway, here's that repairman's account of how he ressurected one of these beasts, out of the bits of THREE of these sets! Now that's what I call dedication.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/p.foden/pye.htm
Old 14th Apr 2006, 11:01 pm   #2
ianj
Heptode

Default Re: Pye poisoning

Many of the surviving sunrise sets now no longer work because of the mazak problem--but they didnt reckon on people like us trying to ressurrect 80 year old radio sets, did they!!
Old 15th Apr 2006, 3:27 pm   #3
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianj
Many of the surviving sunrise sets now no longer work because of the mazak problem--but they didnt reckon on people like us trying to ressurrect 80 year old radio sets, did they!!
No, they certainly did not!

These - and all of the other things we love - were intended as consumer items, with a finite life.

It is a testament to good design and manufacturing techniques that there are so many 70 / 80 year old sets around for us to work on.

I wonder how many of todays items designed for a throwaway age and wrought in the sweatshops of the far east will still be functional in 2086?

Regards,
Old 15th Apr 2006, 3:30 pm   #4
JoshWard
Octode

I have encountered Mazak before from when I collected (and still have the collection) Dinky and Corgi model cars. The early Dinky's would often rot due to people thrwoing their cigarette butt's into the liquid metal (in the famous Binn's Road factory) this would then cause a chemical reaction and hey presto the thing gets covered in fatigue and collapses before your very eyes. Another good reason to never smoke. Josh.
Old 16th Apr 2006, 6:10 pm   #5
Andy Day
Pentode

In the motorcycle restoration world, and certainly in industry - when we had one - Mazak's refered to as "Monkey metal". Don't know what they mean!
Old 17th Apr 2006, 10:13 am   #6
JoshWard
Octode

As far as i'm aware it is generally called monkey metal anyway. Josh.
Old 17th Apr 2006, 7:25 pm   #7
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Also called "pot metal"

I wonder if that's because whoever dreamed up this alloy was smoking pot at the time, or because this sorry sludge is cooked up in a pot.

I can't see how a cooking pot can be made out of this junk.
Old 17th Apr 2006, 7:43 pm   #8
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshWard
The early Dinky's would often rot due to people thrwoing their cigarette butt's into the liquid metal (in the famous Binn's Road factory) this would then cause a chemical reaction and hey presto the thing gets covered in fatigue and collapses before your very eyes.
I wonder is something similar did happen in the Pye factories. I have an AC4D in which the Mazac (aka Muckite) castings for the tuning Cap are in terrible shape. However, a P/AC I am working on at the moment has a 3 gang tuning C where Mazak is used for both rotors and stators and the castings are perfect! Incidentally, the 3 gang rotor is a single casting! There is a fair amount of rust on the steel framework of the tuning gang but absolutely no problem with the Mazak. This does suggest that there were huge variations in the longevity, probably due to alloy contamination during manufacture.

Brian
Old 18th Apr 2006, 12:05 am   #9
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I've encountered this horrible stuff in the form of door-handles etc. on classic cars. Another name I've heard of (and tend to use myself) is "fromage/metal alloy". From crumbling remains I've seen it it seems like some deranged scientist somewhere managed to perfect a technique for alloying Wensleydale and zinc; then amazingly managed to sell the formula as being useful for something.

Regards, Kat
Old 18th Apr 2006, 8:25 am   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Mazak is even worse if you chrome plate it - the boot hinges on my DS has them, complete with bubbles, because it is the "posh" Pallas model - the base models D Special and D Super 5 used aluminium alloy - much better!

The stuff also "grows" - one of my Austin 7 speedos did and I had to fabricate some of the parts from brass.

Regarding the Pye problem, this is not a set that I can remember handling - precisely what components in the tuning gang are made from Mazak? I assume the frames and spindle? Are there some pictures anywhere? I was wondering if it was possible to make them.
Old 18th Apr 2006, 11:48 am   #11
Drifton
Pentode

Location: Cambridge... in that country formally know as 'Great Britain'

If memory serves me correctly, Mazak was developed primarily for the newspaper printing trade where a semi-cylindrical sheet of news type that clamps onto the printing rollers is centrifugaly cast in a sort of paper mould with a similar but tougher consistency to an egg carton. Therefore a reasonably hard wearing metal with a very low melting point was required.

After the days printing run it was then melted down and reused, so it was never really formulated for permanent castings.

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 18th Apr 2006, 12:27 pm   #12
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I've seen this stuff inside reel to reel tape machines and it literally crumbles if you touch it, rendering the whole deck beyond repair.

Biggles.
Closed Thread