UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2006, 5:01 pm   #1
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Whiskers on Roberts Radio (table model) chassis

Has anyone who owns one of these Roberts RM-33 (and similar) radios noticed the rapid growth of "whiskers" on the metal frame that holds the main PC board and power supply components?

When I went over mine about 6 months ago, I wiped the metal frame down with some tissue moistenened in naptha (cigarette lighter fuel).

I opened it up yesterday by request of our resident NASA expert (the guy studying this stuff) and dear God, they've come back.

I went to open up my RM-20 and it also has the same problem, as far as I could peek in without pulling the guts out.

Anyone think that possibly cleaning the metal and then coating it with some sort of paint or primer might stop this from re-occurring?
Old 10th Apr 2006, 6:25 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Whiskers on Roberts Radio (table model) chassis

Hi Stephanie

I've just taken the back off my RM33 and all the metal works looks clean with no sign of whiskers.

I wonder how much environment effects whisker growth. My RM33 is kept in my workshop, which is a large wooden shed that I keep heated at a low temperature to prevent condensation. Perhaps whisker growth is sensitive to temperature and/or humidity?
Old 10th Apr 2006, 6:29 pm   #3
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Whiskers on Roberts Radio (table model) chassis

I don't know. I know my '33 lived in someone's bathroom. I don't know where the 22 came from - I got it off E-bay, but it's full of cobwebs so it may have been stashed in some loft or basement for a few years. The back covers on both are noticeably warped.

Both, however are now kept in my living room, a relatively warm and comfortable area.
Closed Thread