UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 3rd Apr 2018, 6:50 pm   #1601
bill knox
Hexode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

HI

Picture as requested (I hope)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00579.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	160451  
bill knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 7:19 pm   #1602
Station X

Some posts moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=145375

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Station X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 7:33 pm   #1603
Sinewave
Octode

That was the one on eBay recently. It does look good. I have one, but mine has cracks in the casing, however it does work.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 7:37 pm   #1604
The Philpott
Dekatron

An unused (or clean) set of the later (more robust) leads c/w clips/prods on it's own has a significant value (as does the case) so the set as a whole is a nice find in working condition,well done.

The value is not huge and is in actuality difficult to give with any precision due to the preponderance of Market Leading Auction Website/s, where a single sale at inflated price can distort the situation. An earlier, rare, meter might sell for £130, then an identical one sells for £35 the following month. There is no rhyme or reason, and some collectors will of course dig deeper than others. Bidding wars confuse the issue.

The value not being large is, many would say, part of the attraction. I would say your acquisition would be a steal at £40 and a rip-off at £140. This is good because you can use it without being (too) afraid of breaking it!

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 8:43 pm   #1605
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I have read somewhere that the Heavy Duty Avometer was mainly used by British Railways, whose employees found that the meter also made a convenient 'step' on which to stand when trying to get to something slightly out of reach! Many meters didn't survive this treatment, so to find one in such good condition is something of a coup.

With 1,000 OPV sensitivity and rather low ohms ranges, it was clearly designed for signal and traction engineering rather than electronics. By all accounts there were eight different versions of this model. Tempting to try collecting one of each?

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 10:18 pm   #1606
Sinewave
Octode

Indeed.

Mine is badged up with a label saying

British Railways
Sig.Eng.Dept
East Region
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 10:25 pm   #1607
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

In my experience, anything having a railway provenance becomes a piece of "railwayana" and its value immediately quadruples!

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 3rd Apr 2018 at 10:26 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 10:48 pm   #1608
Sinewave
Octode

I was lucky then, paid £10 for mine!

Sometimes we just get lucky, as noted above, prices fluctuate on eBay.
Old 4th Apr 2018, 12:42 am   #1609
bill knox
Hexode

Hi

I think that I will put it on the items for sale and see what happens

Many thanks for your views on this

Bill
bill knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2018, 2:29 am   #1610
Sinewave
Octode

They are lovely those heavy duty ones are, especially to a collector. I may add another one in better condition than my one at some point perhaps.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 10:51 pm   #1611
Sinewave
Octode

I've never seen one of these before, so I had to have it.

I've just aquired another Avo, the 'High Resistance Avometer' which also states that it's the 'Model 2'. Some of you may be aware of where I aquired this.

I'm pleased to say that it is somewhat functional and gives quite reasonable readings. Around 85% FSD the movement becomes stuck, but it's easily freed off, but this is something I could look at if I want, but otherwise it's just a nice rare Avo to have in my collection.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 11:33 pm   #1612
The Philpott
Dekatron

Yes, i did see that Model 2 HRM. I really couldn't justify getting it and i am glad you got it for a reasonable price. On my Model 1 there is a mismatch between the dimensions of the meter facia and the dimensions of the backbox, which had caused cracks. (this may be what has caused the case on your Model 2 to crack!) Hopefully the stick @ 85% FSD is a piece of ferrous debris which can be persuaded out with blu-tak on the end of a cocktail stick. Both the meters mentioned above have the same problem of fading of the red legends- i decided to leave it alone on the Mod 1 as i didn't want to make it worse..still legible but a faded brown. One collector has 2 HRM's which have brilliant lipstick red legends on the scale-plate. Must have been boxed all their lives.

Incidentally, Sinewave, the Model D we were both looking at a little while ago, was quite badly rotted inside, battery damage. I did manage to make the movement work, but only by transplanting it to another meter.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 9:10 pm   #1613
Sinewave
Octode

So far as I can tell, the back is the right one for this Model 2, so maybe it was dropped at some point.

I've just come home with another 47A. Interestingly, this one has a leather case which is a lot taller than usual, with some felt covered rectangles inside the case to hold the sides of the Avo.

Been an interesting week so far with Avos. Yesterday I went to collect another 9 Mk2 and came home with two 9 Mk2s.

I need help.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 11:03 pm   #1614
The Philpott
Dekatron

Someone of considerable experience typed quite recently that when you get over 20 AVO products you have a problem. (This now includes me..)

Lord knows there's worse things to get addicted to, and as long as you can move in your house and shed it could reasonably be said that things are under control. After 3 days concerted effort i can move in the shed--- and it is probably a good thing that the shed is not purely dedicated to ACWEECO, there are other distractions and a pleasingly versatile kit of tools to cope with 80% of the household problems that occur from year to year.

A good barometer of AVO-itis could be this- given 4 minutes as you fall asleep can you recall every single instrument you own..? I can, but only just.
Old 16th Apr 2018, 1:45 pm   #1615
AndyGilham
Pentode

About time I listed the meters we have here in our collection of Megger. We have a lot more, but they are still in use by repairs and technicains.

Here goes.....
Avometer (Model 1) No. 144138 (Marked with BBC No.55)
Avometer mod 7 No. 7746-30131
Avometer model 7 Mk 2 (Braille) No. 3284-154
Avometer Model 8 No. 154727-C-363
Avometer model 12 No. 3357-770
Avometer (HD5) No. 3883-567
Avominor No. 41779-45
Universal Avominor No. 46132-442
Avo Multiminor Mk 5 No. 98153 (NSN 6625-99-620-4452)
Avo Multiminor Mk 5 No. 99378 (NSN 6625-99-620-4452)
Avo Test Bridge No. 53061046
Avo DC Amplifier 1388B No. 135-A-157
Electronic Avometer No. 4675-U-1051
1657A Radiation Indicating Unit No. 327-X-1165
DA 212 Digital Avometer No. 21206277
1002 Analogue Multimeter No. 1001-M488360-0490

PLus these additionas without any markings. I imagine they were original prototypes we made here, prior to the serial numbering starting.

Avometer mod 8 (made in India by Motwane) No.017027
Avometer moodel 7 No Serial Number
Avometer model 8 Mk 5 No Serial Number
Avometer 8 Mk 4 / 9 Mk 4 No Serial Number
Avo Multiminor Mk.5 No Serial Number
Avometer 40 No Serial Number
Avometer 40 Mk 2 No Serial Number
Avometer Model 8 Mk 6 No serial Number
Avo Power Factor and Wattage Meter No Serial Number (Marked BAW856)

The collection is growing....!!!
AndyGilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2018, 6:09 pm   #1616
Pamphonica
Nonode

Hi Andy,
how excellent to see that Megger has kept some of the Avo flame burning, and that your techs still use Avo products. Thanks for the update.
If you have a moment you may wish to log these serial numbers onto the fledgling database (see first post in this thread). I have not put slots in for non-multimeter items, as it was originally set up as a multimeter survey.
All the best
Jeremy
Old 19th Apr 2018, 12:48 pm   #1617
Sinewave
Octode

I wonder who has, whether it's an individual or a museum, the largest Avo collection in the country?
Old 19th Apr 2018, 8:24 pm   #1618
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

At one time I would have instantly replied that the Avometer collection belonging to Paul Adams would be a contender for the largest in private hands. Sadly, Paul hasn't been seen on the Forum for a good while. He wasn't well when I last visited him, and he hasn't responded to my PMs, so I fear the worst has happened.

Our very own Peter Munro must be at or near the top of the list, but perhaps he doesn't want to declare the total!

Don't count me in this, I've got fewer than thirty or so.

Old 19th Apr 2018, 10:08 pm   #1619
The Philpott
Dekatron

I do know of an aficionado who has in excess of 100, but understandably does not know exactly how far in excess of 100..

The Precision Avometer is a very good buy at the moment. They are beautifully made but not 'worth' much. If you have the room, get one!
Old 20th Apr 2018, 10:59 am   #1620
The Philpott
Dekatron

I have resolved that i have 30 Avo's fully functioning, but 15 of those are 'midgets'. In the pursuit of making these work (and every single one required attention) there is a pile of 18 meters of various types which range from hopeless parts donors to partly functional units with missing or corroded components or damaged bakelite. I have found record keeping of repairs to be crucial, and a large pukka-pad is devoted to this, along with digi photos.

I will add them to the database when i get a quiet evening.