UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2014, 6:10 pm   #1
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Default AVO CT160 trouble getting to valve bases sorted.

Hi,

I hope that I am not telling Granny how to suck eggs.

My friend and I were testing a few valves and the intermittent B9A valve base was getting us frustrated.
We decided that the base must be changed before a valve got thrown across the floor, one of the jobs that's been on the "Around to it pile".

Taking the eight machine screws out, we thought that the insert should come away from the lid, it did not.
We tried to remove the four chromed studs in the lid, one fell out and the others just span around.

Eventually it was decided that it was just that red foam gasket that was holding it in place. No matter how much pushing an shoving took place it would not budge.
The picture explains exactly how we got it moving. A nice long wood screw of just the right diameter screwed in a couple of turns in the machine screw hole just grabbed it enough for the the inner to be prised away from the lid.
Working around the each hole in turn carefully made it move.
By the way the chromed nuts are not attached to the board and serve just to protect the lid.

I hope this helps someone.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140809_133319.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	95980   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140809_132842.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	95981   Click image for larger version