UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2010, 6:18 pm   #1
Andrew2
Nonode

Default My 80 metre rig

Not vintage (unless you count the FT790 case it's built in). A few weeks of highly enjoyable home construction produced this little single-band transceiver. I'm very impressed with the kit-built Si570 digital VFO.

http://g1hbe.webs.com/the80mproject.htm
Old 16th Apr 2010, 9:29 pm   #2
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..
Default Re: My 80 metre rig

Nice...!

Ian (G8KSZ)
Old 16th Apr 2010, 10:06 pm   #3
swordholder
Rest in Peace

Very impressed.
How about a circuit?
Mike
Old 16th Apr 2010, 10:15 pm   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

Thanks both.
There is no 'written down' cct, but I'll be sticking a block diagram on the website ASAIGATI...
It's very straightforward, just a single conversion superhet with an IF of 9 MHz. I'm astonished by the PA0KLT 'digital VFO' kit - it's not a DDS or a PLL, it's er...something else, apparently based on one or more 'pullable' xtal oscs and a bank of dividers, all under software control and a 32-bit frequency word. Apparently it doesn't suffer from the spurs that tends to blight some DDS designs.
Old 17th Apr 2010, 7:54 am   #5
swordholder
Rest in Peace

Andy,
Thanks for the reply. I have a "Plessey" IF unit with a 10.7 IF which was the rage many years ago. Just crying for a good VFO and front end, The PA0KLT unit looks as though it was made for the job, assuming I can get enough drive as the Plessey uses a MD108 DBM.
Will have to look into that.
Regards
Mike
Old 17th Apr 2010, 9:29 am   #6
Andrew2
Nonode

Mike,

Take a look at:

http://sdr-kits.net/PAOKLT/PAOKLT.html

There are three types - a CMOS one that tunes to 160 MHz with 3v p-p output (200 ohms I think), then two faster ones that reach 240 MHz and 900 MHz but with lower output.
The CMOS one would certainly hammer your DBM good & proper!