UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2021, 2:28 pm   #1
Tom williams
Pentode

Default How rare are these plugs?

Hi all,

A few months ago, I received this MK 2 amp fused plug from Peter Sanders (can't remember his forum handle) and was wondering how rare it actually is. I've never seen a fused 2 amp one before, but have seen a 5 amp fused one. I also received a rubberised 5 amp one from Peter which is also made by mk, could this be rare and from the days before duraplug existed?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_134242.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	237363   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_134237.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	237364   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_134319.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	237365  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 9th Jul 2021 at 2:37 pm. Reason: Edited title
Old 9th Jul 2021, 7:04 pm   #2

Default Re: How rare are these plugs?

What a lovely item, spare fuse too. I have some modern 5 amp sockets for the living room lighting, nice and dinky. Great for side lighting. and controlled from a three gang switch on the wall, one for the ceiling light the other two do a few 5A sockets near the skirting.

Old 9th Jul 2021, 8:55 pm   #3
broadgage
Nonode

That exact design may be old or rare, but broadly similar products were made until recently and may still be made.
The plugs are rated at 5 amps and the fuses are commonly 1 amp, 2 amps, 3 amps, and 5 amps.

I fitted loads of these in about 1999, for fluorescent lights in a department store.
Old 9th Jul 2021, 9:03 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

How lovely!

Are the fuses the little ones as often fitted in the old clock-sockets? [BS646?]
Old 9th Jul 2021, 9:07 pm   #5
Tom williams
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
How lovely!

Are the fuses the little ones as often fitted in the old clock-sockets? [BS646?]

Yes they are, those fuses are also used in shaver adapter plugs.

Tom
Old 9th Jul 2021, 11:14 pm   #6
kellymarie
Pentode

I've got one of those cute little plugs I don't actually use it but I will find a job for it
Old 9th Jul 2021, 11:15 pm   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
The plugs are rated at 5 amps and the fuses are commonly 1 amp, 2 amps, 3 amps, and 5 amps.

There were 15A 5A and 2A round-pin plugs and sockets. These are 2A plugs, and are significantly smaller than the 5A ones.
Old 9th Jul 2021, 11:46 pm   #8
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom williams View Post
Hi all,

A few months ago, I received this MK 2 amp fused plug from Peter Sanders (can't remember his forum handle) and was wondering how rare it actually is. I've never seen a fused 2 amp one before, but have seen a 5 amp fused one. I also received a rubberised 5 amp one from Peter which is also made by mk, could this be rare and from the days before duraplug existed?

Tom
I had a number of those in white. Might still have them somewhere.
Old 10th Jul 2021, 1:01 am   #9
McMurdo
Dekatron

you can still buy unfused 2A round pin plugs, MK still make them in a more modern shape, cat.no. 502 WHI.
Their 5A and 15A versions are still square like yours.
They're sometimes used as a more robust 12V connector for caravans and boats

Cat. No. 641 WHI and 643 WHI respectively.

If you mean are they rare due to fusing, I admit I've never heard of one, as those type of systems are designed for fused circuits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mk.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	237391  
Old 10th Jul 2021, 2:22 am   #10
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I wouldn’t say they are rare. I think MK are the only company that made them. Most people wouldn’t pay the extra money to have the fuse so you will see mostly plugs without fuses.
I used to use them quite a lot In the old days for TV amplifiers in loft spaces.
As they were 2A the socket was wired on the lighting circuit and the fuse protected the amplifier. My logic was if the amp developed a fault it wouldn’t put the lightning circuit off. Often protected by a rewirable fuse in the old days.i believe I still have a few in their original box somewhere. Although mine are white . Also the white ones didn’t come with a spare fuse ,just the space for one.Andy
Old 10th Jul 2021, 9:05 am   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

A search of eBay found a seller with three of these (in white) available (plus one sold) - not cheap though at over £20 a pop including postage. I quote this merely as an example that they are available.
Old 10th Jul 2021, 12:00 pm   #12
Restoration73
Nonode

Some equipment used a recessed chassis mount 2A socket for ancillary items.

we used to have a massive demand for the MK plugs every October. The reason was
they were used in the local university halls of residence.
Old 10th Jul 2021, 12:26 pm   #13
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Interesting about the university’s . About 20 years ago . At a radio rally I bought loads of 4 way 13a socket strips. They had 2A fused plugs on the end . So-called from universities.
They were no money and I only wanted them for the 2Amp plugs. Andy
Old 10th Jul 2021, 2:55 pm   #14
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post
I used to use them quite a lot In the old days for TV amplifiers in loft spaces.
As they were 2A the socket was wired on the lighting circuit and the fuse protected the amplifier.
No it didn't, nor was that its purpose. Fuses are to protect the cable. If an amplifier developed a fault that caused it to draw 2 amps it would be dissipating 480 watts at 240v and the fuse would not blow. I wouldn't want a 480watt heater screwed to my rafters! Luckily aerial amplifiers are internally protected.
Old 11th Jul 2021, 1:07 pm   #15
Stuart R
Heptode

Lucky you didn't go to our College. In the Halls of Residence there were two 2A sockets located next to each other in each room. Presumably for your bedside light and maybe a radio.

For the Engineering students who moved in with larger Hi-Fi set ups, a four-way 13A strip would often be made with two 2A plugs fitted to it in a scary Y-lead configuration.

No local requirement to have your incoming devices looked at, let alone PAT tested in the early 90s. The more caring students would add a sign reminding the cleaners not to unplug either 2A plug.

It's a bit off-topic, as it was any 2A plug you could get hold of, so not the fused ones. Regular 2, 5 and 15A plugs (of dubious brands) were on the shelves of our local discount store along with 'Grelco' branded unshuttered adapters.

SR
Old 14th Jul 2021, 9:06 pm   #16
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post
Interesting about the university’s . About 20 years ago . At a radio rally I bought loads of 4 way 13a socket strips. They had 2A fused plugs on the end . So-called from universities.
They were no money and I only wanted them for the 2Amp plugs. Andy
Shades of my son's University. First thing I made up for him was a 2A plug to four 13A sockets disboard for his sound system! (Mine, with '60s residences in the early '70s had real 13A sockets, so in room toasters/kettles/fan heaters/Baby Bellings were possible.)

I always suspected it was a ploy to keep the amount of free leccy available to students strictly limited!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Jul 2021, 10:29 pm   #17
emeritus
Dekatron

In the STC Submarine Cables lab at Woolwich where I worked one summer as a student, the benches were wired only with multiple 3 pin 2A sockets. The test gear, regardless of wattage, all had the corresponding 3 pin 2A plugs. My Edwardian GEC catalogue says that its range of mains plugs (2 pin versions of the later 3 pin BS ones) would safely handle many times their nominal rating. When you consider that the round pins of the 2A plug are about the same size as the rectangular pins of the 10A-rated IEC "condition hot" kettle connector, this seems a reasonable assertion.
Old 14th Jul 2021, 11:49 pm   #18
kellymarie
Pentode

I remember going with my dad to see a friend of his who lived in the accommodation block at a large government research establishment. Each room had a 5 amp socket for a TV radio and lamp to make tea the kettle had to plugged into a 15 amp socket in the hallway. All this in a place which did electrical and electronic research
Old 15th Jul 2021, 9:13 am   #19
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: How rare are these plugs?

Hi,
I Have some fused round pin plugs too. 1 2amp, 1 15amp, and a few 5amp ones of more recent manufacture.
They were used a lot in the hospital I used to work at where 13 amp sockets were only in newer departments.
I also have a couple of MK rubber clad 5amp plugs and newer PVC clad ones. The 'pin side' was still Bakelite.
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fused plugs (3).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	237684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fused plugs (4).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	237685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fused plugs (2).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	237686  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 9:27 am   #20
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Inspired by this thread, I recently acquired a (white) 5A version of the plug. Comparing with the original image, it appears that the bodies of the two plugs don't differ greatly in size. The width and height of the 5A one are each 1¾".

Incidentally, a spare fuse fits in the cavity top left of my picture, but I couldn't hold it in place while placing the plug on my scanner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fused 5A round-pin plug.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	237688