UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2021, 12:14 pm   #1
keyfixer
Diode

Default Old BSR deck problem

I am servicing a Ferguson 3010 record player and have some odd things happening with the deck, it just does not operate as expected!
i.e. when it ejects on a manual cycle, the arm goes back, hovers over the rest ..then comes back over the record, lowers.. and switches itself off. ( that's just one of the problems )

I am aware of the old grease problem and have cleaned off and carefully re greased and freed up everything I can find but to no avail.

What I need now is to get hold of an exploded view of the BSR deck in case anything is missing as this was bought at a boot sale by a customer.

I can't ID the deck as the sticker is illegible, does anyone know which BSR deck they used in this model?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210921_120650_resized_2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	241795  
Old 21st Sep 2021, 12:23 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Old BSR deck problem

Probably a UA25.

Manual available here for £1.99, which goes on keeping this brilliant forum afloat:

https://www.service-data.com/product...98/9397/m16898
Old 21st Sep 2021, 4:05 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It is a BSR UA25 from 1964/65. Is the overarm seated properly, even if only playing one disc?
Old 21st Sep 2021, 5:39 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Hard to say without actually seeing it in the flesh. Probably still some hardened lubrication somewhere or you put something back wrong. Have you fully serviced the tower with the size selector as this is notorious for problems. Some BSR decks use a black plastic star wheel that causes this fault when partially seized, but I don't think the UA25 uses this particular part.
Old 21st Sep 2021, 10:41 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

Have a look under the over arm where the spindle is, there should be a sort of rubber boot, it ifs missing it will cause this problem.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 22nd Sep 2021, 12:58 pm   #6
keyfixer
Diode

Hopefully it's sorted, I found 2 problems.

1: A spring that's part of the mechanism that sets the arm was overstretched and was not quite returning a lever to its correct place every time.

2: There's a small "shell shaped" metal part ( hidden under the plate ) that picks up and controls the arm position ( it sort of rocks back and forward ) I suspect it was too loose so adjusted the pressure on the special circlip to give it more resistance to movement and now things have settled down.

Thanks to those who offered ideas, any help is always appreciated when you seem to have tried everything!

..and yes, I believe it is the UA25.
Closed Thread