UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2021, 2:37 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Ferguson 352U

Hi. This interesting little radio kept blowing pilot lamps. The value of these are not easy to obtain. It was found that the Brimistors were faulty, and these were not easy to procure either. After replacing both these, the radio did work properly and not blow pilot lamps.
Also I replaced the metal rectifier with a 1N4007 silicon rectifier and a resistor. All the capacitor and resistor replacement had been carried out earlier. Somebody in the U.S supplied me with the Brimistors.
Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 352U.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	234008  
Old 14th May 2021, 3:16 pm   #2
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson 352U

Attractive little set, I fixed mine a few years ago, just the capacitors needed doing. I love the way the tuning dial glows.
Old 17th May 2021, 2:17 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Ferguson 352U

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
Attractive little set, I fixed mine a few years ago, just the capacitors needed doing. I love the way the tuning dial glows.
Hi Clive.
Many thanks for your reply. Yes they are really nice in appearance. I bet it looks great with the main room light switched off? It seems to have some magnification factor incorporated in the dial, not sure what this is?
The scale lamps are very hard to obtain I believe (like 8 volts or something like that?)
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread