UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2021, 11:57 am   #1
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Collaro Challenger

I have just read Michael Maurice's in depth thread about servicing the Conquest .I have a challenger and am wondering how different the two machines are .Has anyone got any tips on servicing the unit .I have done lots of Garrard s and can probably do a BSR with my eyes shut but this is my first Collaro . I could just crack on with it taking lots of photos as i go but any tips will be very helpful
Regards K
Old 5th May 2021, 12:00 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Collaro Challenger

I honestly don’t know what the difference is, I’d have to see them side by side.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 5th May 2021, 5:54 pm   #3
peter_sol
Octode

I don't think there is any difference.
Old 5th May 2021, 6:34 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

Did the Challenger have a 90V tap on the motor for U series valves?

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 6th May 2021, 12:24 am   #5
peter_sol
Octode

No. The way they did that was by having a 160V motor in series with the valves but so did some Conquest models. As in the ferguson roll top player and some phlilco's both used Conquestxor Challenger as avaliable.
Old 6th May 2021, 8:04 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I have most of all Collaro's very rare historic leaflets and specifications - but frustratingly not accessible by me at this time. Knowing Collaro as I do (did), there will be more differences than just a name change. Apart from the badge, they are cosmetically identical.
Old 6th May 2021, 11:07 am   #7
kirstyd
Heptode

Well guys i made a start yesterday [taking loads of photos ] starting with the seized motor stripping it down then cleaning and lubricating with some Singer machine oil .Its now running very well .The only odd thing i found was that the stepped pulley wheel on the motor shaft just pulls off there is no grub screw to secure it unless it was just meant to be jammed on .Next i took out the main mechanism [that took some figuring out ] cleaned and lubricated it and then reassembled everything . the two rubber jockey wheels although not damaged were hard so i put them in some boiling water for a few hours heating it up every so often .they are now nice and supple again just need their edges sanding up [i usually put them in my Dremmel and then just let the revolving wheel touch the fine sand paper .this always works and because the wheel is spinning so fast you always get a nice even job] .The whole unit has been cleaned and a lot of what i though were scratches has come off so its looking rather nice and will look good in the Fergi 401 .Will reassemble everything today and give it a run .The original cartridge is in place don't know if its working or not i will keep my finger crossed it would be perfect for all those 78s
K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_130009.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	233404   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_105713.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	233405   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_105724.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	233406   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_105836.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	233407   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_105855.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	233408  

Old 6th May 2021, 11:12 am   #8
kirstyd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
Well guys i made a start yesterday [taking loads of photos ] starting with the seized motor stripping it down then cleaning and lubricating with some Singer machine oil .Its now running very well .The only odd thing i found was that the stepped pulley wheel on the motor shaft just pulls off there is no grub screw to secure it unless it was just meant to be jammed on .Next i took out the main mechanism [that took some figuring out ] cleaned and lubricated it and then reassembled everything . the two rubber jockey wheels although not damaged were hard so i put them in some boiling water for a few hours heating it up every so often .they are now nice and supple again just need their edges sanding up [i usually put them in my Dremmel and then just let the revolving wheel touch the fine sand paper .this always works and because the wheel is spinning so fast you always get a nice even job] .The whole unit has been cleaned and a lot of what i though were scratches has come off so its looking rather nice and will look good in the Fergi 401 .Will reassemble everything today and give it a run .The original cartridge is in place don't know if its working or not i will keep my finger crossed it would be perfect for all those 78s
K
I am not sure that bar in picture 4 is the right way round [should the slot be at the other end ] Out of 48 photos there isn't one of this just goes to show you cant take to many pictures
Old 6th May 2021, 11:20 am   #9
Chiltern
Heptode

You are correct, Collaro motor pulleys just push on, but you must have the spring to prevent slippage.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASIDSCN8460.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	233415  
Old 6th May 2021, 11:30 am   #10
kirstyd
Heptode

I bought this yesterday for a fiver mainly for the Callaro deck [another possible doner for the 401] but on getting it home it looks too nice to cannibalize. The previous owner told me he had fitted a plug and plugged it in and that there was some sound and the record player revolved .On closer inspection of the braided mains lead i am surprised there wasn't one big bang as you can see in the last pic the rubber insulation has gone and we are down to the bare wire
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210506_111614.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	233418   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_111621.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	233419   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_111628.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	233420   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_111642.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	233421   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_111937.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	233422  

Old 6th May 2021, 3:11 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

To help you with the quite complex re-assembly (there is nothing easy about these decks) do carefully follow Michael Maurice's most excellent Guide that you have aleady found. Regarding the GEC Radiogram, the Collaro deck fitted is a 3 speed RC454 - made some 4-5 years earlier than your "Challenger". It is liable to be fitted with a Collaro/Ronette "Studio O" cartridge - one of the finest Mono crystal cartridges ever made. If it's still working, then this will be an added bonus for you!
Old 6th May 2021, 6:50 pm   #12
kirstyd
Heptode

Hi Edward .yes the original cartridge is there weather it works or not is a different story [will try it when i get a chance ].i have just been looking at the underside of the Collaro RC54 in the GEC gram .now the two units may look similar from the top but there is a vast difference underneath [lots more wheels cogs and connecting bars ] Once i get it out i will post photos of both
Old 6th May 2021, 7:25 pm   #13
kirstyd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan SP15 View Post
You are correct, Collaro motor pulleys just push on, but you must have the spring to prevent slippage.

Alan
Hi Alan .I had the fan on upside-down. I turned it over and fitted the spring to the fan [not the pully ]then i fitted the pulley and everything worked perfectly [glad i had the other deck to look at
K
Old 6th May 2021, 7:30 pm   #14
kirstyd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
To help you with the quite complex re-assembly (there is nothing easy about these decks) do carefully follow Michael Maurice's most excellent Guide that you have aleady found. Regarding the GEC Radiogram, the Collaro deck fitted is a 3 speed RC454 - made some 4-5 years earlier than your "Challenger". It is liable to be fitted with a Collaro/Ronette "Studio O" cartridge - one of the finest Mono crystal cartridges ever made. If it's still working, then this will be an added bonus for you!
Hi Edward .Well you were right .both decks have the studio o cart fitted and the added bonus is they both give a good loud output .I am delighted i will fit new needles and use them .I am only going to be playing 78s and old 45s so there wont be a problem that old GEC was well worth a fiver
Old 7th May 2021, 7:46 am   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
Hi Edward .yes the original cartridge is there weather it works or not is a different story [will try it when i get a chance ].i have just been looking at the underside of the Collaro RC54 in the GEC gram .now the two units may look similar from the top but there is a vast difference underneath [lots more wheels cogs and connecting bars ] Once i get it out i will post photos of both
The mechanics of the Challenger are enitirely different. The RC54 uses a spigot trip size selector which Collaro had to later abandon because of their Copyright infringment of BSR. The sizing on the Challenger is done with the edge of the tone-arm.
Old 7th May 2021, 8:45 pm   #16
kirstyd
Heptode

ok here are photos of the underside of both deck .The first 54 the second is the Challenger which i have dismantled but you can clearly see there is quite a difference
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210507_181535446.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	233506   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210507_181625120.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	233507  
Old 13th May 2021, 9:04 pm   #17
kirstyd
Heptode

The Challenger is now running well and is about to be installed in its new home [the Ferguson 401 radiogram]
thanks everyone
kirsty
Closed Thread