UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2019, 9:21 am   #21
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Re: Small message found on Murphy A38 speaker board

Having bought (few years ago now) a grubby/tatty looking Leak Troughline II FM tuner, imagine my recent surprise when delving inside, the signature Simon Leak.

Making contact on Yahoo-groups in (I think) 2017(?), confirmed by Simon, he did indeed test it back in the day. With the passing of my father shortly afterwards, the tuner has been a shelved project. The tuner has all the hallmarks of a factory-hack, or trial/testbed set. I say this as, from memory, Simons signature is later than the build stamp & signature of another tester, which were (I believe) a few years apart, plus it's a mixed-bag of various mods and parts, which were clearly factory done. If anyone's interested, I'll upload photos of the oddity.

I love seeing dates, initials or names inside sets, plus comments or remarks. It adds a little something and like an image on a film of a camera, it was there, in that moment.

Mark

Last edited by mark2collection; 9th Nov 2019 at 9:27 am.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 10:45 am   #22
brunel
Heptode

Megger Earth Tester, I assume the initials of the assemblers/calibrators.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2089.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	193574  
Old 11th Nov 2019, 1:29 pm   #23
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunel View Post
The mechanical parts look almost identical to the ones in my 500V Megger shown in post #12.
Has your got the big horse shoe magnet on the back?
Old 11th Nov 2019, 3:54 pm   #24
newlite4
Octode

In my bench drawer at work I have a little sealed plastic bag containing five hex nuts for miniature switches along with a small piece of card with the inscription "We try not to make it too easy for our customers!"
Neil
Old 11th Nov 2019, 5:46 pm   #25
mark_in_manc
Octode

In the Fortran77 compiler I used to use, there were warnings which used to pop up when you tried to compile if you'd used an ill-advised variable name, along the lines of "sh*t is a rude word, even in Fortran".

Obviously it's vocabulary was limited, the limits of which we tested in a dull afternoon in the lab when someone had by chance stumbled across this feature. Those limits didn't help me when, writing code to simulate loudspeaker radiation and needing a variable for the radius of a piston, I re-read my code and was startled to see I'd accidentally created a variable called 'rapist'...
Old 11th Nov 2019, 10:38 pm   #26
brunel
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunel View Post
The mechanical parts look almost identical to the ones in my 500V Megger shown in post #12.
Has your got the big horse shoe magnet on the back?
I didn't get that far, mostly the scale plate and labels needed a cleanup.

It is a display item only.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 11:02 pm   #27
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
In the Fortran77 compiler I used to use, there were warnings which used to pop up when you tried to compile if you'd used an ill-advised variable name, along the lines of "sh*t is a rude word, even in Fortran".

Obviously it's vocabulary was limited, the limits of which we tested in a dull afternoon in the lab when someone had by chance stumbled across this feature. Those limits didn't help me when, writing code to simulate loudspeaker radiation and needing a variable for the radius of a piston, I re-read my code and was startled to see I'd accidentally created a variable called 'rapist'...
I've had to rephrase one or two of my posts on this forum because I've inadvertently used a profanity within a regular word. At least "Scunthorpe" is allowed in this iteration of vBulletin.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 2:58 pm   #28
AC/HL
Dekatron

In the unlikely event of finding "Test 20" ink stamped on a Baird 660 chassis, that was me in a previous life.
Old 13th Nov 2019, 11:38 am   #29
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
You can find all manner of strange things carved into vinyl records alongside the pressing numbers by the label/runout grooves.
Oops, that could be an entirely new thread.
Could be - George Peckham would use "Porky", "Pecko", "A Porky Prime Cut", among others. Chris Blair at Abbey Road would use "Blair's" for cuts he liked and "Porky" for ones he didn't - or so he said.

Other inscriptions are available...
Old 13th Nov 2019, 12:43 pm   #30
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This rare Ferguson 17" fringe model TV type 405T has been taken care of since it's acquisition a good while back now. Recently I decided to bring it back to life and discovered these notes in the cabinet written on the back of an Orange Club biscuit wrapper.

It reads: FERGUSON 17" ON LEGS. SOUND EXCELLENT. NO BRILLIANCE. PICTURE COMING THROUGH ON HEADPHONES. * EY86. TUBE EXCHANGED FROM MARCONIPHONE. PL36 PY81 EBC83* SOUND VALVE REQUIRED.

* The method used to detect the vision signal was very popular with guys that had constructed their own receivers. A pair of headphones were used isolated with a .1uf capacitor to trace the classic vision/sync buzz from the detector to the tubes modulation grid or cathode. Interesting to see that he exchanged the tube from the Marconi before checking the EHT. I presume the EY86 was the cause of the no picture fault. The EBF83 valve mentioned is in fact an EBF89.

I wonder what he would say if he could see this 405T today? Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 405T.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	193669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 405T 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	193670  
Old 13th Nov 2019, 1:19 pm   #31
Lancs Lad
Heptode

I bet the Club biscuit wrapper is significantly bigger than the present modern-day version....

Peter.
Closed Thread