UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Oct 2019, 9:22 am   #1
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Breadboard

I must have had this breadboard for 40 years and prototyped many projects on it, does anyone recognise it and can give me its make & model?

Any suggestions of a modern similar dead-bug / Manhattan board would be welcome.

Yes, I could unleash the resist pen & ferric chloride and make my own, and it might come to that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8738.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	191311   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8739.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	191312  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 3:16 pm   #2
Pfraser
Pentode

Default Re: Breadboard

That board looks familiar...the name which comes to mind is 'blob board'. A quick Google brings up refs to COB and various childrens' games.

I vaguely recall adverts for this, in Everyday Electronics and similar, featuring a cartoon solder blob character. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer.

Have I jogged anyone else's memory?
Old 5th Oct 2019, 4:18 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I remember blob board. It was made by the same company that made the S-Dec, T-Dec and U-Dec solderless breadboard things, you could get blob boards with the same track layout as the contacts in said S-Dec, etc boards so you could transfer your experimental circuit a component at a time to the blob board. Most blob boards had and SRBP base but I had/have some that were glassfibre based and much nicer to use.

Was the company Bandridge or something like that?

But this doesn't look like blob board to me. Blob boards came pre-tinned. It's also not Wainwright board, a system based on a tinned copper board ground plane with little pads, IC mounts, striplines, etc that were self-adhesive on the back and which you stuck onto the ground plane. Expensive, but good to 100's of MHz if used carefully.
Old 5th Oct 2019, 5:07 pm   #4
space charge
Tetrode

very reminisent of the doug de maw book. probably available from W1REX.regards ei7ka
Old 5th Oct 2019, 5:50 pm   #5
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Just found a Blob board ad in Radio and Electronics Constructor magazine (Dec 1977).
Please see attached.

It's clearly not the same as in the OP's pic but may be of interest.

Regards,
Symon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blob.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	191344  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 5:56 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you're prepared to cut out a load of small square pads of copper clad board you could make your own version. If you only glue them where you need them onto a sheet of copperclad you add a useful groundplane into the mix. ISTR that this technique might be called Manhattan.

Dead bug style just means sticking the chips to the substrate upside down and wiring direct to the legs- quite complementary to Manhattan style really.

I used to use single sided copper clad as a ground plane, drill holes to mount components, clear round any holes not needing to be grounded with a 3mm drill bit or Vero spot face cutter or even one of those posher things that cleared an annular ring round the hole leaving a copper pad in the middle, then poke the component lgs through with the components on the copper side and do the wiring on the back either with solderable enamelled copper, wirewrap wire (fiddly to strip) or tinned copper wire with small bore PTFE sleeving when needed for crossovers. I found this method a lot easier than trying to figure out a decent space efficient stripboard layout.
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 5th Oct 2019 at 6:02 pm.
Old 6th Oct 2019, 3:04 am   #7
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Here's a modern way of doing using stick on pads:

http://qrpme.com/?p=product&id=MEP
Old 6th Oct 2019, 10:23 pm   #8
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I started with an S-Dec, as I imagine many people did. There was also a breadboard around at one time which used some sort of gel like contact substance. I never used one or saw one in the flesh. Maybe it wasn't successful or didn't catch on. I once ruined a breadboard with an IC that ran too hot (as was often the case with experiments) and melted the plastic distorting all the contacts. One of my friends at school tested the temperature of a NE555 timer with his finger and promptly burnt a square into his unfortunate digit. The 555 worked just fine when allowed to cool. A childproof chip!
Alan.
Old 14th Oct 2019, 11:40 am   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I found something rather similar called 'Howes Speriboard' (but from what I can see long out of production). The dfferences are that it's a fibreglass (not SRBP) board and the pads are roller tinned. I have no idea where you'd get it now.
Closed Thread