UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2016, 2:51 pm   #21
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: An Impressive Ham Radio Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
... when he passes on... that's a real headache...
Absolutely. Releasing such a vast collection onto the market could well depress prices and his family would probably never recoup the true value. I've seen similar things happen at UK vintage radio auctions when even modest collections come up for sale. But this guy has chosen to spend his own money on what he loves, and you can't argue with that!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 30th Jan 2016, 5:54 pm   #22
turretslug
Dekatron

Most impressive and even mouth-watering- but, as said, old radios deserve running up for several hours a month or so, just to keep capacitors used to volts and usage and keep wound components and chassis generally thoroughly dried out. I suppose many of us have got into the, it'd be nice to have one of them... and maybe one of them... mode of thinking but I wonder if that vast collection brings joy, or if it reflects compulsion?

Noticing the guy's background, I've sometimes wondered if collection is in a way therapeutic to some of those who have in the past had to leave everything under troubled circumstances, even if just subliminally? That always struck me in the famous/notorious case of Edmund Trebus. There are plenty of at least superficially similar examples.
Old 30th Jan 2016, 7:42 pm   #23
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
No Codar AT5 either, or did I miss one?
Nor a T28.

In fact I don't think the guy's got any of the comms gear I've got in my shack...
Closed Thread