UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2007, 12:45 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default 1934 Marconi 284

I took a risk when I brought this 1934 Marconi 284 from ebay, but I fancied a challenge and at £4.99 it was cheap!

It had obviously been painted for a reason and when I stripped it I found out why. There had been some damage to the veneer at the top front. I decided to fill the damage with mahogany coloured wood filler. Unfortunately it dried orange so I used a brown felt tipped to adjust it a bit. As you can see by the photos, it’s still visible, but I can live with it, I’ll call it a battle scar! I, then, stained the cabinet with mahogany wood dye, painted the end grain with brown enamel and finished with three coats of Danish oil.

I made a new Marconi logo, and stuck it to the top. The speaker fabric is a piece I picked from my Sid Chaplin collection as the original was a piece of curtain, or something

The chassis was very rusty, but it was improved greatly by colouring it in with a pencil and then wiping with white spirit.

The output transformer was open circuit, but I was lucky to something with a suitable turns ratio in my junk box. It didn’t look like the original, but as it’s mounted to the speaker and hidden in the cloth dust bag, I wasn’t bothered. Electrically, apart from that, there was nothing else to do. Even the waxies checked out OK! Mind you there’s only two.

I couldn’t work out how to use it so I asked advise in another thread. It does now work and it does work quite well, but it’s just too complicated so I don’t think it’ll get much use, I’ll just appreciate the way it looks

Anyhow I really enjoyed repairing this radio, it didn’t cost much to buy, it cost me nothing to restore and it gave me nearly 3 weeks of ‘restoration entertainment’

Here’s a link to the thread, showing it in it’s original, painted, guise https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=15658 and below are some pictures of the finished article

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	9080   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	9081   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	9082   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	9083   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	9084  

Old 10th Apr 2007, 1:29 pm   #2
JoshWard
Octode

Default Re: 1934 Marconi 284

Wow Dave, that certainly is a transformation . I have been told they do work fairly well once done so I've something to look forwards to with my 282. The 282 differs by having a bakelite surround on the grille and a different wood around the grille. Nice to see on looking so good, Josh.
Old 10th Apr 2007, 5:45 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Incredible work, Dave. A fiver doesn't usually go that far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
IThe chassis was very rusty, but it was improved greatly by colouring it in with a pencil and then wiping with white spirit.
Certainly quicker than stripping everything, sandblasting it and having it re-plated

Nick.
Old 10th Apr 2007, 5:56 pm   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I must admit the 'pencil trick' works better on smaller areas of rust, but this was always going to be a cheap restoration because of the damage to the veneer.

I've found a picture of the chassis with a, pencil, test area in the top right hand corner... I think it worked a bit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	9091  
Old 10th Apr 2007, 5:59 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Wow!

I'd looked at that on e-bay too but decided that as I'm not buying any more sets 'till the workshop is built (who am I kidding - NVCF in a couple of weeks) I'd give it a miss.

You've made a lovely job of it, well done - that must be one of the best £4.99s ever spent!

Congratulations.
Old 10th Apr 2007, 6:04 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Could you elaborate re. the transfer? What did you print it on? How did you attach it? Did you varnish/oil over it?

It certainly looks first-rate
Old 10th Apr 2007, 9:49 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Hello David,

I sat here looking for the damage you mentionned and it took me quite a while to spot it ! For a 73 year old radio, it now looks splendid, well done

Howard
Old 10th Apr 2007, 10:25 pm   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Could you elaborate re. the transfer? What did you print it on? How did you attach it? Did you varnish/oil over it?
Hi Nick, it's printed on inkjet waterslide transfer paper. I made the image from a, good, logo on another radio.

The problem is that injet printers don't do gold, so I used two transfers, one had to be hand painted gold. As long as I paint up to, maybe into, but not out of the black outline, it works fine .

They have to be lacquered individually with an oil based varnish, before application, to make them transparent then they are just soaked in water and attached on top of the Danish oil finish.

I'm not sure if I've explained the procedure very well, so I've attached a photo (I take loads as I go along ) which should clarify things

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
I sat here looking for the damage you mentionned and it took me quite a while to spot it !
Hi Howard, I'm glad you like it. I must admit that I'm normally bothered by dodgy type repairs like this, but I had so much, problem free, fun restoring it that I can live with its blemishes. The filler is actually shown up more by the flash of the camera anyhow.

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	9105  
Old 10th Apr 2007, 10:30 pm   #9
Colin
Heptode

Excellent job Dave, I really love the pencil and white spirit treatment on the chassis.

Rgds
Colin
Old 10th Apr 2007, 10:41 pm   #10
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Dave,
Excellent job ! I saw this on e-bay and thought it was a horror only suitable for spares! what a transformation ! another set saved!
Rich.
Old 10th Apr 2007, 10:46 pm   #11
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
I saw this on e-bay and thought it was a horror only suitable for spares!
Yes, I must admit that the £4.99 starting bid was all the money that I put on it
Closed Thread