UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2018, 9:12 pm   #1
Skyesue
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hearing amplifier for Telephone No. 706.

Hi.

Total novice here.

I've just bought a 1967 red GPO 706 telephone. As I'm hard of hearing I want to put an amplifier on it. The amp has plug in things and if I had push-in connectors on the curly handset lead it would work, but the curly lead is wired into the phone directly. So in theory I need to cut the curly lead and put on some connectors at each loose end so I can then add in my amp. With me? Is this possible?

Thanks.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 8:40 pm   #2
Test Desk
Tetrode

Default Re: Hearing amplifier for Telephone No. 706.

With respect, I don't think you have the technical knowledge to make this modification. The GPO didn't make an amplified handset for the 706, what they did have was a another secondary ear piece called a "watch receiver" which you placed on your other ear so you had sound in both ears. You may be able pick one up on the Web but I doubt you'll get a red one.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 10:53 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Desk View Post
With respect, I don't think you have the technical knowledge to make this modification. The GPO didn't make an amplified handset for the 706, what they did have was a another secondary ear piece called a "watch receiver" which you placed on your other ear so you had sound in both ears. You may be able pick one up on the Web but I doubt you'll get a red one.
I beg to differ !

To quote the relevant PO Technical Instruction -
"Handsets Nos. 4 and 5 provide amplified reception for deaf subscribers. The items supersede Repeaters, Telephonic, Nos. 9A, 17A, 17B and 17C and are designed as a direct replacement of the normal handset on the 700 type telephone. Both items embody a transistor amplifier built into the handset handle but differ in the power feeding arrangement for the amplifier. The amplifier of the Handset No. 4 draws its operating current from the transmitter current whilst the Handset No. 5 requires a separate battery supply."

See N1840 for connecting to 700 type telephones

They were both later replaced by the Handset No 14A See N1841 for connecting to telephones.

There was also a Handset No 17 which provided the amplifier of the Handset 14A and the neon of the Handset No 7.

All were only available in Black, dark Grey or Ivory. I remember fixing a Handset No 17 to a Tele 8782 for my father about twenty five years ago.

It just involved undoing the case (1 screw) then removing the handset (slackening off four screws) and replacing it with the new handset colour for colour and tightening the handset cord screws, replacing the case and tightening the screw. 10/15 minute job.
Old 4th Jun 2018, 8:21 am   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyesue View Post
The amp has plug in things
What sort of amplifier were you proposing to use?

An alternative approach would be either a strap-on amplifier for the handset or a pick-up coil that uses a suction cup to attach to the telephone body or handset to pick up the electromagnetic field produced by the internal induction coil or the receiver inset. The latter connects to an external amplifier.

Please note that the links are simply to the first examples I found of these items. I have no connection with the sellers, and other examples are available.
Old 4th Jun 2018, 10:31 am   #5
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to put modern handset connectors on an old cord. These are designed to go on flat-sectioned cord, not round, with thinner cores.

One of the 'strap-ons' as mentioned my Dave would be a better way to go.
Closed Thread