UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2018, 9:22 pm   #101
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Triang Children's Record Player

When you dis-assembled the player, did you make a note of where the 2 wires from the pickup cartridge and the two wires from the speaker were connected on to the amplifier board?
Old 11th Jan 2018, 4:56 am   #102
Stylo N M
Heptode

Yes, in order to do any testing, or to obtain any sound from the cartridge, the speaker must be conected.

Do the the pick up lugs that push onto the cartridge fit tightly? If not, DO NOT be tempted, to solder these conections directly to the cartridge pins, it will instantly render your cartridge useless due to heat damage, all you need to do, is squeeze them a little tighter if they're loose, or open them out very carefully, if they're tight.

You could just hold the cartridge in your fingers, for the first initial test, push the conections onto the cartridge gently, and only use the soldering iron, for soldering the opposite ends of the pick up lead to the circuit board.

Radio user has provided adiquate pictures, of most of the main details of the circuit board, and some wiring, in posts #90 #91 #92 you should be able to trace, most of the steps from those ilistrations.

You know that the motor is working, from previous tests and pictures, my advice now taken from my own experiences, is on first power up it would be advisable, to try and use a battery that has worn down a little, this will minimise any damage that could result, from an unsuspecting leaky capacitor and may well prevent sudden damage, to any one of the transistors on the circuit board. Apply the battery carefully, observing polarity as it's easy to slip up at this stage, when everything's in a heap on the table, re-check any other wiring, touch the stylus carefully and determine if it's working or not, you should hear a scraping noise through the speaker.

If the reproduction on audio, is distorted then you will need to start checking other things, like capacitors and other components, but we will help you as best we can with that, IF it becomes necessary.

As regards actually fixing the cartridge into the tonarm, the fact of the matter is, you might have to be prepared to start getting a bit creative, otherwise, you will end up with a tone arm that's too heavy for the job

Paul.
Old 11th Jan 2018, 4:16 pm   #103
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
When you dis-assembled the player, did you make a note of where the 2 wires from the pickup cartridge and the two wires from the speaker were connected on to the amplifier board?
There were only a couple wires connected when I obtained the player, and those definitely weren't connected.
Old 11th Jan 2018, 4:19 pm   #104
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo N M View Post
As regards actually fixing the cartridge into the tonarm, the fact of the matter is, you might have to be prepared to start getting a bit creative, otherwise, you will end up with a tone arm that's too heavy for the job
I haven't taken the original cartridge out yet, so not sure. Thanks for all the info though. I will get to work soldering tomorrow, don't have time today.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 8:46 am   #105
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Quick question, how should I go about keeping away the fumes from the solder, as it is leaded.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 11:41 am   #106
Stylo N M
Heptode

You can buy an inexpensive dust mask, if you've still got a local hardweare store, or the next time your in one of bigger retailer's, but i really don't think that a little bit of leaded solder, is going to hurt you what so ever, you would have to make quite a few billions of soldering joints, for that to have any inpact on any heath issues.

Having said that, if you do suffer from any medical problems in that line, be carefull, but we can't advise you really on that, as you'll know your own limits regarding these issues.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 12:12 pm   #107
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Ah okay, didn't know a dust mask was actually sufficient. Thought you needed some fancy filter stuff. Lucky I have a dust mask!
Old 12th Jan 2018, 12:29 pm   #108
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Many of us here have soldered millions of joints using leaded solder and we're still alive. Actually the fumes are mostly the flux, there is very little lead in them. And while the flux can cause irritation in some people it is not that hazardous.

Don't deliberately breathe the fumes, but other than that, I suspect worrying about them is a bigger risk than the fumes themselves!
Old 12th Jan 2018, 12:58 pm   #109
TimLiggins
Tetrode

Your soldering is carried out at a temperature of about 190C. Lead will not produce significant fume below about 300C.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 2:36 pm   #110
Refugee
Dekatron

The flux is worse than the lead.
The lead is only a little above its melting point and not hot enough to produce any fumes.
Flux does produce vapour that can be dispersed with a desk top fan for small jobs like yours.
On an industrial scale there is value in having an extractor fan.
In the old days they just sat at rows of benches and soldered radios together by the hundred without getting ill.
Leaded paint is far worse as DIY enthusiasts used to sand paper it kicking up masses of lead dust.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 3:19 pm   #111
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Refugee (above) puts it in a nutshell.
If you are really worried about fumes, then, for the amount of time you will be exposed to them, a small desk fan will serve to disperse them.
Quite a few contributors on this forum, including myself, have been soldering electronic equipment for 60+ years, and we are still here.
Best of luck with the project by the way, but I think you have set yourself a rather difficult task. Tony
Old 12th Jan 2018, 4:05 pm   #112
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Alright, well I do have a desk fan on hand so that should work. And thanks for the luck, I'll need it.
Old 12th Jan 2018, 9:50 pm   #113
Sideband
Dekatron

I've been soldering since I was 8, I'm now 65 and still here. Never bothered with extractors. Those years also include 35 at Philips in various jobs and they never bothered with extractors either. Unless you are asthmatic or have other respiratory problems (or just don't like the smell of flux) don't worry about it!
Old 13th Jan 2018, 10:09 am   #114
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Well I do have Asthma so is that a thing to worry about?
Old 13th Jan 2018, 11:10 am   #115
Cobaltblue

Well there are two trains of thought here if you were soldering every day in a professional capacity you would rightly expect your employer to be looking after your health with fume extractors etc.

I'm asthmatic (inherited from my mothers side) and like Sideband I have been soldering since I was 8 so more than half a century and it does not seem to affect me.

Just work in a well ventilated area and take care not to intentionally breath in the fumes.

Make sure you have your inhaler(s) to hand and that someone is aware of where you are and IMHO the risks are then low

I actually find the smell of Rosin based flux pleasant

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Jan 2018, 2:13 pm   #116
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I wouldn't bother soldering anything until you can confirm that your new cartridge will fit inside the headshell. I've never found a cartridge small enough to fit.

David
Old 13th Jan 2018, 4:07 pm   #117
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

I could try and do some sanding to the cartridge and see if I could squeeze it in there.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 6:46 pm   #118
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This sounds a bit drastic and could cause the cartridge body joins to fail. Maybe best to ease out the plastic on the tone arm inside head each side with a sharp Stanley knife. Even still better to check that the new cartridge is working with the amp and speaker as already advised and if all is well, then fit it. Be mindful of the stylus geometry when fitting into the pick up head.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 7:07 pm   #119
Stylo N M
Heptode

As I tried to advise in post #103, I would endeavour to establish at this stage, whether or not your new cartridge is going to give you reasonable and acceptable results, especially before you begin spending a whole week, painstakingly sanding down the edges. I've done this and it takes longer than you think. If you do some temporary tests first, you can establish if it's worth going to all that trouble in the first place, and determine whether or not you've got the ability to tackle further repairs if required.

Paul.
Old 13th Jan 2018, 9:21 pm   #120
JacobTheFox
Retired Dormant Member

Alright. I'll take out the old cartridge then and do some temporary tests before fitting the new cartridge into the stylus head.
Closed Thread