UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2017, 1:01 am   #1
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Default Whiteley Electrical and TVs

I recently read and article in issue 68 (Christmas 2000 available on disc) Radio Bygones. By Mr A Porter(C.Eng.M.I.E.E.) Who used to be my boss at WER. I am aware radios where available in kit form but not that TVs were also available one in particular was the Viewmaster launched in 1948 for which Whiteley's made a fair number of parts. Viewmaster seem to have started with a 9" then moved up to 12". Idle curiosity really but I wondered if anyone had one and would post a photo?

Cheers

Kev
Old 13th Mar 2017, 9:33 am   #2
Oliver35
Pentode

Default Re: Whiteley Electrical and TVs

A couple of members have Viewmasters I believe, they were very popular DIY sets. Designed by W.I. Flack, it was quite a professional bit of design, and had the option of using one of a few 9" or 12" tubes without circuit modification. You could also buy a 'flat pack' console cabinet for it. There is some information on the'net about it- I downloaded the instructions for building it a couple of years ago, although of the top of my head I can't remember where from. If I find it again I'll post the link. Pity the poor devil who had to build it from scratch on the kitchen table and then troubleshoot and align with nothing more than the incoming signal!

Edit: Here's the link to the instructions. Why not build one yourself? All EF50s and a couple of thyratrons. http://www.g4dmp.co.uk/viewmaster.pdf

Last edited by Oliver35; 13th Mar 2017 at 9:39 am. Reason: Link added
Old 13th Mar 2017, 5:04 pm   #3
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Hi Oliver
I think Whiteley produced the iron cored components plus speakers, cabinets and metalwork. It would certainly be an interesting project!! Thank you for the link.

Many Regards

Kev
Old 13th Mar 2017, 8:40 pm   #4
IvorBlister
Tetrode

You learn something new every day. I also worked at Whiteleys and had no idea that they had been involved with TV kits. Thanks to Kev I also read the article by Albert Porter and realise how little I knew of what the factory was involved in other than the department that I worked in. Well done Kev.
Nick