UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2017, 4:42 pm   #1
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Panasonic NV-FS90/FS100 hybrid board

Hi guys,

Took this board out my donor fs90 that I had robbed bits from.

The original fault was there was no picture on vhs or svhs at all. Suspected this board but never for round tonremoving and checking til now. There's no leaking from the caps and no damage to the ic and tracks like in pics on the other threads.

However there is a link wire from pin 10 of the centre connector to pin 1and 2 of the hybrid board. Doesn't look factory and possibly a failed repair?

The board has obviously been replaced by looking at the solders, but should pins 1 and 2 be joined and also 9 and 10? Or is it messy soldering?

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be like this?

I was hoping the board was ok to transplant into another machine.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8996.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	138564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8997.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	138565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8998.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	138566  
Old 4th Mar 2017, 4:48 pm   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic nv-fs90/fs100 hybrid board

I still wouldn't trust those surface mount caps. They might look good, but given the age of the machine looks can be deceptive. Give the entire thing the once-over with an ESR meter.

I think that link wire is factory. If you look in the top-right there's a resistor that looks like an afterthought as well. Probably a later revision of the same board would have these integrated. Not uncommon!
Old 4th Mar 2017, 5:02 pm   #3
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-FS90/FS100 hybrid board

Took a chance and put it in my machine anyways as the one that came out also had the bridge wire.

Both vhs and svhs work perfectly.

Pic of Leaking caps and damage to smd's on the old board

The soldering on the old boards hybrid chip was factory where as the replacement has been replaced at some point and looks good with the meter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9001.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	138574  
Old 4th Mar 2017, 8:55 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Easy way with any elec caps,is put a soldering iron on the joints and it quickly puts its hand up if duff.An anonymous sizzle.
Old 4th Mar 2017, 11:19 pm   #5
Rennie93
Triode

Default Re: Panasonic nv-fs90/fs100 hybrid board

Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post
I think that link wire is factory. If you look in the top-right there's a resistor that looks like an afterthought as well. Probably a later revision of the same board would have these integrated. Not uncommon!
Yeah. My Fs100 and 200 have those as well. I wondered whether they were a dodgy repair!
Old 5th Mar 2017, 12:23 am   #6
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Have made another working board by combining the good caps from each onto the board with the good tracks. Fiddly job with my iron tip being a bit on the large side but it's working great. Wish I had done this sooner. The anticipation was worse than the job itself.
Old 10th Mar 2017, 12:57 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

I hope you didn't reuse those old caps, they are a time bomb! new replacements are the way to go if you want to preserve those PCBs from leakage damage.
Old 10th Mar 2017, 8:51 am   #8
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

both boards had been replaced at some point, so weren't the same age as the machine. I checked them before and after removing for any damage/leaking and also the values and all 4 are now the same. As it's my own machine and won't be gettting sold combined with the little amount of use the machine gets, they will be perfectly fine. Not like it's a hard job to replace them again if anything happens.
Closed Thread