UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2017, 10:48 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default KB Bulletins

Read about Tommy Trinder and the KB Royal Star here

Mike
Old 24th Feb 2017, 11:27 am   #2
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default Re: KB Bulletins

It's always great nostalgia to see stuff like this. I have to say that the OG10 was, IMHO, possibly the most hideously ugly radiogram made; it looks like a 'proto' microwave. The equipment and its travails were on a more 'human' scale, one man (or woman) had a chance of understanding and repairing the whole thing. I noted in the service bulletin that improvements to the fine tuning arrangements had been effected by use of nylon cogs and a length of Meccano chain; superbly 'make do and mend' - great days.
Old 24th Feb 2017, 11:40 am   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Nice web site Mike. The 888 consul from 1934 looks a very interesting set that I wasn't aware of before. I see from the manufacturers manual that it features a very early example of inter-station muting.
Old 24th Feb 2017, 12:06 pm   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

My abiding memory of the Royal Star was that if its put down hard the rear foot goes through the case.

I may have been at that radio show.

Peter
Old 25th Feb 2017, 11:58 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes the Royal Star Peter! I once repaired one for a Mrs Franks at South Wimbledon. I used to keep a stock of large 'penny washers'. to reinforce the rear leg that was simply screwed into a bush in the cardboard cabinet.

She had it placed on a small cabinet, a sort of Welsh dresser next to the fireplace in the very small back room.

I placed it down, switched it on and demonstrated a good picture. She reached for her purse to pay me only to see the set slowly descend rearwards coming to a halt with the screen pointing towards the ceiling like a WW2 spotlight. The rear support leg had collapsed and I didn't have any washers with me so had to traipse the set back to the workshop for reinforcement....Her purse was quickly placed back in her handbag.

These receivers were let down mainly by nasty components. The wax/paper capacitors were very poor quality and many of the small resistors went high in value, not helped by the high internal temperature.

The later 110 degree QVP30 was a much better job with auto transformer and chassis secured feet.. By now the style was loosing it's attraction and only a small production run of the Q series were produced. The 'Sputnik' inspired design had finally crashed to earth. Regards, John.
Old 26th Feb 2017, 9:10 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Sorry. I just 'ad to do it for you lucky people. Sorry about the rotten 'at.
[Portable? It weighs a ton!] John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7083.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	138213  
Old 26th Feb 2017, 10:03 am   #7
audiomagpie
Heptode

I've got a later QVP 20 set. Yes the front feet bolt straight through to the chassis but the single rear foot still just relies on the strength of the case, mine too now has washers!

And reading further down, that guy at Knowle Hall certainly enjoyed his toys!

BVWS committee chairman
Closed Thread