UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2018, 12:03 am   #1
davyrocket2
Pentode

Default LG-720 VHS Recorder.

Hi.

I own an L G-720, it works fairly well but using the aerial output lead I tried to tune it in to My Dynatron CTV 22/A. I could not get the tape that was playing to display. My question is if the SCART socket is being used does this stop the output to another set? At the time I was using my Sharp Duos LED set which is connected by means of a large box which all connections go through. I must add that this set it is connected by a ribbon cable. I have just noticed on the box it says its an AVC system for TV, Sharp Duos, LC -37and 1AD1E. I should mention that on the rear of the TV are just three inputs labelled 1/2/3,and no SCART or aerial inputs.

Any advice welcomed. Regards, David.
Old 25th Jun 2018, 12:41 pm   #2
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: LG-720 VHS Recorder.

Some VCR have settings to turn off the RF signal. I have never heard of one doing it automatically.
Old 25th Jun 2018, 12:55 pm   #3
Station X

VCR's sometimes have a switch which feeds a test signal to the RF output. A vertical bar from what I remember. You then tune the TV around analogue channel 35 for the best display.

Some TV's had a dedicated VCR button on the tuner which changed the interlacing or something like that.

I cannot see how a TV can have no aerial input socket unless it's actually a monitor.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Jun 2018, 1:01 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I don't know anything about your particular machine but note that some later videos had the usual pair of Bellng-Lee, aerial in and out connections (i.e. "RF loopthrough") on the back panel, but had no RF modulator fitted, so can't display a picture on an old set with just an aerial socket on the back.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 25th Jun 2018 at 1:06 pm.
Old 25th Jun 2018, 5:04 pm   #5
Grubhead
Heptode

The Sharp AVC system is a way of getting rid of loads of cables dangling down when you hang it on the wall.
All the cables can be connected to the box, which should have the required connections. Then the cables to the TV come from the box. So yes it does not have any aerial leads, as they go to the box.
You have to buy the connection cables (TV to box) from Sharp only. If you have not already got them. Apparently the longer length ones are very expensive.
If the AVC box doesn't have a scart socket, you might be stuck. The modern set will certainly NOT have an analogue tuner to connect the VCR.
Looking on the net I could only find Aquos - not "Duos". And the LC 37 is a Liquid Crystal set NOT an LED TV.
Old 26th Jun 2018, 1:51 am   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

If the set is in fact an LC-37AD1E, it is quite vintage and the box will certainly have one or more SCART sockets.
Old 26th Jun 2018, 1:18 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

Bear in mind that some of these later VHS units had user-settable UHF modulator output between ch 21 and 68, not just channels 29-39 like the early ones.

If you can't pick it up, it may be clashing with a DTT multiplex.
Old 26th Jun 2018, 8:53 pm   #8
davyrocket2
Pentode

Hi.

Yes the AVC box has 3 SCART sockets and appears to work fine. The OSD lists TV/DTV/Input 1/Input2/Input/3/Input4/PC. What I am doing is using the RF output lead from the L.G.Video and tuning my Dynatron CTV 22/A to receive the picture/display, but my question is if I leave the SCART still connected as normal, does this stop the RF output giving a signal to the set I wish to connect it with.

I have just looked and I'm not able to see any screw to adjust the RF output.
Old 26th Jun 2018, 9:50 pm   #9
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyrocket2 View Post
I have just looked and I'm not able to see any screw to adjust the RF output.
Can you not consult the user manual to find out which analogue channels the device is capable of outputting and how to select which one is used?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Jun 2018, 11:51 pm   #10
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
The modern set will certainly NOT have an analogue tuner to connect the VCR.
Virtually all modern sets still have analogue decoders, and they are usually multistandard.
Of course the Dynatron CTV 22/A will also be analogue.
Old 27th Jun 2018, 12:22 am   #11
davyrocket2
Pentode

Smile Re: LG-720 VHS Recorder.

Hi Graham point well taken.

I got the player second hand from eBay £90.00. I saw it working and am very satisfied with it, but it did not come with a user/instruction book /guide. The frustrating thing is I thought that with the Dynatron having a 625 UHF input that I just needed to tune into the tape being played.

Regards, David.
Old 27th Jun 2018, 12:44 am   #12
ben
Dekatron

I have never heard of a video that cuts the RF when using the scart AV output.
No adj. screw as the RF output is set electronically.
Please check the model number again. If it is an LG LV-720, try this:

1) Press POWER on the front of VCR to switch it to standby.
2). Press and HOLD the PROG "^" or "V" on the front of VCR for more than 4 seconds.
3) This should turn on the RF Modulator and set it to CH22.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 10:33 pm   #13
davyrocket2
Pentode

further information as follows.I purchased a RF modulator with this I managed to connect up the VCR and tune the dynatron in so that problems now solved.I now need to replace the main cable as one of the 3 has a break in it the plug on it looks similar to a 5 pin din plug but smaller.I have noticed this plug is almost the same as the plugs fitted to computer keyboards but these have six pins .I require one that has 5 pins what are they called so I can try to purchase one or has anyone got a sharp avs I could purchase one regards David
Old 18th Dec 2018, 3:05 am   #14
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm not entirely sure from your post (a picture says more than a thousand words sometimes), but you may be describing an S-video connector.
Old 18th Dec 2018, 3:24 am   #15
davyrocket2
Pentode

Remember the old type like audio 5 pin DIN plugs? Well it's like that only smaller and looks, when you view it looking at the pins, like it has a bar in its centre. By the way I found this thread and it was Grubhead who pointed out I has mistakenly posted it was LED. I now realise it's LCD. It certainly had a good picture when the cable was good, but it got damaged by the cat playing with cables, so the cover is missing
Old 19th Dec 2018, 11:35 pm   #16
davyrocket2
Pentode

Well it looks like persistant searching has at last paid off. I found a similar model sharp LC -TV for sale I contacted the seller who said he had a spare cable and was willing to sell it to me. Hopefully this will resolve things and make it work again.
Closed Thread