UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2018, 5:45 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Kolster Brandes RB10 "Gavotte"

I am starting to restore various radios in my collection, and one that I wanted to bring back to life was the K.B RB10 "Gavotte" miniature radio. Many people do not like this radio because of its cheapness, but it brings back many memories for me as my family once owned one in 1961.
My father (a one time radio and television engineer) must have bought this for my mother as I remember this in the kitchen in our house in Whitkirk, Leeds 15.
My radio was inoperative, so I replaced the metal rectifier with a silicon rectifier and 3 watt 100 ohm resistor.The resistor to the anode of the 12AT7 valve had gone up in value more than its tolerance, and I also replaced the coupling capacitor leading to the grid of the 19AQ5 o/p valve. The real problem was that the o/p transformer was the "let down" in the radio, one of its speaker leads had snapped off from the top of the transformer, leaving just a slither of copper to join a new speaker lead. A blob of epoxy resin glue kept the wire from leaving the top of the tx.
Another nice radio stopped from being scrapped!
Old 16th Apr 2018, 5:54 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Kolster Brandes RB10 "Gavotte"

I think Crackle would agree with you

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kolste..._rb10rb_1.html

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th Apr 2018, 3:03 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Kolster Brandes RB10 "Gavotte"

Cheers Mike T
In addition to this, I will replace some more capacitors (three "dog-bone" shaped ceramics) which are connected to supply rails. These are supposed to be poor in quality.
The sound from this little radio is really great. I have never seen any more examples at radio fairs.
Mike
Closed Thread