UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2020, 9:47 am   #1
Blivit42
Diode

Default Odd 706

Hi, I have a 706 telephone that seems to be non-standard.
I had two of these phones that I got from the same person. I tried converting them, one worked, the other didn't. The incoming line went off for a short time, so I assumed there was a short and I started to look for faults and tracing the internal wiring.

It seems to be an early version of the 706 without a PCB. I noticed two odd things.

1) The Automatic Sensitivity Regulator is missing and only the terminals A, C & E are fitted. The 706 phone should work with the regulators reversed, which would connect terminals B, C and D, but since B and D are missing, this won’t do anything.

2) The Induction coil No. 31 is missing and doesn't seem to have ever been installed. Maybe someone has removed it.

There is a wiring schematic N112419/4 pasted inside the cover of the phone which doesn't show the induction coil or the regulator, so I don't think it has been altered. It differs from the wiring shown on standard N806 diagram.

Can anyone tell me what this phone might be and if could be converted? I suspect it may have been a special for an extension, which won't work on its own.

Thanks for any help.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 10:03 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Odd 706

See https://www.britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n1900.htm for more information about this model of telephone.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 10:05 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, it's basically a cost-reduced Ericsson phone designed for use as an extension on a private exchange like you might find in a big office or factory etc.

It will work on a normal BT line.

Nick.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 10:12 am   #4
Blivit42
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
See https://www.britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n1900.htm for more information about this model of telephone.
That's it, thank you very much. Several hours of Googling had failed to turn up that connection. I will read that and come back if I'm still baffled.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 10:13 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Perhaps an image of how yours is wired might give a clue regarding why it isn't working.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 12:18 pm   #6
Blivit42
Diode

Thanks, I'll have another look at it this evening and will take some pictures tomorrow.
Closed Thread