UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2020, 7:55 pm   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Pye Twin-Triple

I'm really chuffed with this one. It is a 1930 Pye "Twin-Triple" B4D, with two RF stages, anode bend detector and output stage. It was in a very poorly state with several open circuit resistors, the intervalve tx primary burnt out and various other faults. I suspect some had tried to connect it to the mains. Unfortunately I wasn't able to replace the transformer with an original one, so I had to make a little Paxolin bracket to hold the slightly larger one I had in stock.

All the external wiring was badly perished and had to be replaced, and two of the valves were pretty well dead. The biggest puzzle was the complete refusal of the frame aerial to produce any sort of signal - a check with the Avo showed a short circuit - it turned out to be the trimmer on the tuning gang, the mica had cracked!

Several resistors had to be replaced - these are old Pye wire-wounds with layers of cotton binding round them. I cut away the original and fitted modern components across the Paxolin strip, then re-bound them so as to look original.
To my surprise, the moving iron speaker worked much better than I had expected, though adjustment is very ticklish - a fraction of a turn on the control rod can make a huge difference.

The case was not too bad, but I took off the old varnish which was badly scratched in several places, and re-polished it.

Anyway, here she is, once again in working order. I'm surprised how lively the response is, and how precise the tuning, especially on MW. I'm building a dedicated PSU for it which will fit in the original battery compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI3628.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	205364   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI3629.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	205365   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0006.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	205366   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0005.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	205367  

Last edited by kestrelmusic; 9th May 2020 at 8:05 pm. Reason: Incomplete
Old 27th May 2020, 10:54 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Twin-Triple

An excellent restoration. Well done

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 28th May 2020, 9:07 am   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Nice restoration ,I had of those they do work well , let us see the power supply when you decide to make it , Mick.
Old 28th May 2020, 7:55 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

That's really rather nice - one of the classic Pye "Rising Sun" radios.

Good to hear it performs well; I love the chassis-layout with the valves in their own private compartments!

[Interestingly, when post-WWII Pye tried to re-introduce a range of radios with their classic 'rising sun' motif, this was seen as a symbol of Japan and - understandably, considering public sentiment based on stories told by PoWs - these radios were rejected by British consumers, to the extent that Pye had to recall them from dealers and crush them].
Old 28th May 2020, 10:17 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

There's a comprehensive thread from 2011 all about the Pye M78F here.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 28th May 2020 at 10:18 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 29th May 2020, 3:04 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

nice job and a few tricky faults sorted!
Old 19th Aug 2020, 3:33 am   #7
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Nice work, and a beautiful radio! What battery voltages does it use?
Old 18th Sep 2020, 9:37 pm   #8
kestrelmusic
Hexode

It uses 120V HT, 2V LT, 9V GB.
Closed Thread