UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2021, 10:10 am   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Military Radio Spares Kit

Cycled out to Melksham Arcade yesterday afternoon and bought this for £6. It is a spare lamp and fuse kit, possibly for Larkspur or maybe later Clansman. We could not remove the lid in the shop so I was keen to buy just to see the contents. Opening up the box revealed no contents apart from two very substantial rubber inserts which contributed to the heavy weight of the box which added to the mystery. I decided to refill the box as best as I could with period lamps and fuses, there should be some small tools as well to facilitate removal and insertion of the spares, I will try to source these.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040472.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	243303   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040473.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	243304   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040474.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	243305  
Old 13th Oct 2021, 5:42 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Military Radio Spares Kit

According to this: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30118194

it was part of the support kit for the Larkspur C11/R210 installation.
Old 15th Oct 2021, 4:21 pm   #3
Stockden
Heptode

I recall coming across these boxes at various times in my service career but my memory of exactly where and when has sadly faded. While it may well have been with C11/R210 I think it was more likely to have been with VRC353Z and/or VRC321 in multi-set installations. Having said that, it could equally have been with C50/R236, Bruin, CSSH, Wavell, Ptarmigan or IARRCIS or any of the myriad other things that I came across.

My suspicion is that these boxes were common items and associated with an installation (such as "Station Radio VRC353 in Truck 3/4 Ton FFR") rather than a particular equipment. After all, even with a 3-set installation, you probably only need one set of fuses. Oh and you'd need spares for any harness or ancillaries that were part of the installation too. The wording on the box ("Electronic Equipment" rather than "Station Radio") also suggests to me that they may have been used across a broad range of installations and not just Comms.

Hugh

Last edited by Stockden; 15th Oct 2021 at 4:40 pm. Reason: Afterthoughts
Old 15th Oct 2021, 4:51 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Just looking at the photo gives a waft of that ex-military radio rubber smell.

David
Old 15th Oct 2021, 6:44 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There's indeed something nostalgic about the aroma of opening-up a 'hermetically sealed' military radio or vacuum-packed "full standard packaging' parts.

I guess the stores-guys at .mod.uk stores places like COD Donnington would get high on the smell...
Old 15th Oct 2021, 8:29 pm   #6
newlite4
Octode

Yes, I can confirm that the smell of the freshly opened box was indeed very rubbery. It sits rather nicely alongside the R209 being of a similar era. There must be a fair number of these out there, with or without contents.
Neil