UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2020, 9:33 am   #21
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK141 advice

For reference measured my idler wheel. Nominal outside diameter is 43mm and height across the rubber tyre is 4mm.

Absolute dimensions are not critical.
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 1:19 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

I'd use the original nylon piece, cleaned up, for its centre bearing (if it's OK) and turn up a ring to fit onto it. In the outer cylinder of the ring I'd turn a groove to take the O ring and maybe make it a little oversize to start with and keep turning it down a little until I arrived at the wanted diameter.

David, do you mean that the overall diameter (outside of the rubber) is 43mm, or do you mean the nylon bit is 43mm and the rubber stands 4mm above it?

David
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 4:55 pm   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The total/overall diameter (outside of rubber to outside of rubber), 4mm is the vertical height/thickness of the rubber tyre.
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 9:17 pm   #24
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergest74 View Post
Yes, the 3 tridents are perfectly ok and in tact. Oh dear, why is the rubber around the white spool a problem, can't I get a replacement ?
Seems these rubber tyres may not be obtainable. A seller on eBay some time ago had a quantity of miscellaneous from a closed down repair shop. Of course it would be a hit or miss purchase.
I too ave that the problem and am currently looking into a DIY alternative as David has suggested. There are some U-shaped channel materials available but may be plastic in which case they might not grip. I also intend to look for say rubber tubing of suitable diameter and glue a length to the wheel
Good luck with your search
TT
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 8:10 am   #25
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergest74 View Post
Great thanks, that did the trick. I didn't realise the black casing was part of it. I was trying to remove just the silver top.
It maybe the angle of your first photo in this referenced Post but I cannot see the right hand brake arm with rubber brake pad, as per my first photo in Post # 3.

David
Old 4th Aug 2020, 4:00 pm   #26
hergest74
Tetrode

I am comparing both photos but I am not sure as to what you are referring
Old 4th Aug 2020, 5:04 pm   #27
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Compare Dave's post #3, photo 1 with your post #13 photo 1.
You'll see in Dave's there's a black rubber brake pad to the right of the right hand reel above the tape counter. On yours it looks like the arm that holds it goes under the reel which is strange as it shouldn't fit!
You'll note that both Michael Maurice and myself made the point that the top deck should never be removed. However, judging by the screws it appears someone has done this, possibly to do a belt change, which should be done from below. If this is the case, the levers are held in slots on the top and bottom decks, sandwiched between them Replacing the top deck requires three or four tiny hands to locate all these at once and Grundig's advice not to do this is well made. If the lower part of the brake arm isn't in its slot, the arm will fall and I suspect that's what's happened here.
Old 4th Aug 2020, 6:01 pm   #28
hergest74
Tetrode

Well I have never been inside this machine until now so must have been the previous owner.

Looks like your suspicions were correct. Oh dear, it is starting to look like a lost cause.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20200804_17_53_15_Pro.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	212668  
Old 4th Aug 2020, 6:42 pm   #29
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Do not give up, may not be a lost cause, although more difficult than it should be.
Old 4th Aug 2020, 10:08 pm   #30
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Having had a fresh look at mine I would say under normal circumstances impossible for the brake arm to go underneath the spool holder.

If you put a ruler across the top of the 2 spool holders are they roughly level /horizontal ?

If the right hand spool holder has been removed/lifted up then it is possible for the brake arm to slip underneath.

So agree with Glyn quite possible the top deck has been lifted/disturbed and the brake lever has moved underneath the spool holder.

Photo 1 shows how it should be, this is in Stop position where the rubber brake makes contact with the side of the spool holder.

Photo 2 shows it with the spool holder removed, the brake lever is virtually in the same position, its spring has pulled the lever in a couple of mm but the bottom edge of the lever is stopped from going any further inwards by a metal tab.

Photo 3 is where I am pulling back on the brake lever(stretching its spring) with a screwdriver to expose the metal tab, the tab is twisted somewhat.
inwards and upwards.

Photo 4 shows the left side of the brake lever where you can see that it is in the slots of the top and bottom decks. It looks like your brake lever is correctly fitted in the slots but maybe if the top deck had been lifted then it could have come out of the bottom slot which could have allowed it to lift over the metal tab and end up under the spool holder.

Photo 5 shows what is under the spool holder, also note another lever, fitting into the top deck at the 9 O'clock position.

By removing the spool holder ((2 circlips (plastic washer under the second one) and tape counter pulley/belt)) and loosening just a little the 2 right hand securing screws for the top deck you should be able to recover the brake lever to its correct position, tricky but can be done. You have to be careful about the second lever as per Photo 5 that it does not come out of the top deck.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	212705   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	212706   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	212707   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	212708   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	212709  

Old 4th Aug 2020, 10:40 pm   #31
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thinking about it a bit more then I think as long as the top and bottom tabs on the left side of the brake lever are correctly fitted in the slots in the top and bottom decks then it would not be necessary to slacken the 2 right hand securing screws for the top deck, which is good as ideally do not want to disturb the top deck at all.

In this case all that should be required is to remove the spool holder and move the brake lever back to its correct location, would probably have to bend down a little the raised tab so that the brake lever goes over the tab, then bend the tab back up which will then stop the lever from moving inwards.

The 2 circlips on the spool holder shaft do not fit in grooves in the shaft, it is just a case of gently priseing them along and off the end of the shaft, for the first circlip be careful not to damage the plastic tape counter pulley when priseing the top circlip off.

David
Old 5th Aug 2020, 10:13 am   #32
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
The total/overall diameter (outside of rubber to outside of rubber), 4mm is the vertical height/thickness of the rubber tyre.
Photo confirmation of idler dimensions to avoid any confusion.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200805_090215349.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	212740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200805_090259755.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	212741  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 10:20 am   #33
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Thinking about it a bit more then I think as long as the top and bottom tabs on the left side of the brake lever are correctly fitted in the slots in the top and bottom decks then it would not be necessary to slacken the 2 right hand securing screws for the top deck, which is good as ideally do not want to disturb the top deck at all.

In this case all that should be required is to remove the spool holder and move the brake lever back to its correct location, would probably have to bend down a little the raised tab so that the brake lever goes over the tab, then bend the tab back up which will then stop the lever from moving inwards.

The 2 circlips on the spool holder shaft do not fit in grooves in the shaft, it is just a case of gently priseing them along and off the end of the shaft, for the first circlip be careful not to damage the plastic tape counter pulley when priseing the top circlip off.

David
To double check the above is correct, I checked it out.

Photo 1 shows the normal situation where the brake lever is being held back by the slightly raised tab.

Photo 2 shows the tab having been bent down which allows the brake lever to move inwards.

Photo 3 shows the spool holder refitted with brake lever in the incorrect position following on from Photo 2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	212742   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	212743   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	212744  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 10:56 am   #34
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Not very elegant but one DIY fix for idler, this one is actually done on a rubber coated Supply spool holder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRV8-c9FdI
Old 6th Aug 2020, 6:18 pm   #35
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Before removing the spool holder check to see how much vertical play there is, mine was very minimal, on refitting do not fit the first circlip so far down the shaft that it impedes the spool holder rotation.

Also check to make sure that the spool holder rotates freely, cleaning and very lightly oiling its shaft if required.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 1:13 pm   #36
hergest74
Tetrode

I appreciate all the help I am getting here, it's a bit deep for a novice like me but it seems to be a lot wrong with it than just a simple belt fix. I recently changed the belt on my Fostex X280 4 track multi track cassette recorder by watching a Youtube video but it wasn't easy. I guess this won't be either.

I will get back to this and read though carefully as I am in the middle of sorting my recently departed mum's house, of which this player came from. I always wanted to get her dad's accordion playing tapes digitised for her but never got round to it. As a musician I want to be able to do something with them myself. There is also other interesting stuff I would like to hear.

If this isn't too valuable, I could sell it on Ebay and buy one in good working order to save the hassle (mainly time which I am tight for at the moment)
Old 9th Aug 2020, 12:10 pm   #37
stephenavayl
Diode

Hi, you can make a new roller easily assuming you found the metal pin in the middle when the resin disintegrated. I repaired a TK126 using 2 cut rawlplugs - one of large diameter and another that fitted neatly inside the other and had an inside diameter to match the metal pin - cut down in length and then glue together before sliding pin inside. As long as the outside diameter pretty much matches the original then the cam for the selector will work fine. To refit you just gently pull forward the metal seat where the roller is located and slide in from the back. The sprung bracket will keep it in place
Old 9th Aug 2020, 6:20 pm   #38
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I have been meaning to make 2 for ages, one for a TK 141 and the other for a TK 146, had been thinking of using some wooden doweling of suitable diameter (have the original pins), rawlplugs sound good as well.

David
Old 31st Aug 2020, 5:09 pm   #39
hergest74
Tetrode

Sadly, I think I might have to cut my losses and sell it on Ebay and buy one in working order.
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 8:40 am   #40
DMcMahon
Dekatron

That is a shame.
Closed Thread