UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2021, 10:59 pm   #1
rutlandboy
Triode

Default HRO Identification Help Please

Hi,

I purchased this HRO and 'Dog House' 697 from the Peterborough rally (remember those at the showground?) in the late 90's. It was working and my late father used it for a year or so and then gave it back to me.

Its been under several of my workbenches since then.

Recently my mind turned to putting this back to a restored and working condition along with a couple of AR-88's and an HRO-7 that I've got as well.

I'm very used to slightly more modern valve equipment having restored and repaired many, many collins and drake valve equipment and so doing that side of things doesn't worry me too much BUT I would like to know a little more about its age and what you think of its condition.

The Dog house is standard but quite interesting - it has a date stamp inside of Jan 1944 and at some time has had the pitch removed and transformer replaced, so probably had the standard 'meltdown' !! - the coil looks original as did the other components. I've re-stuffed the capacitor with the three 8uF electrolytics, the transformer has a 240 V winding so I used that and after replacing the badly worn mains cord with a good quality modern cotton covered cable, bringing it up on a variac resulted in a suitable output - I'm thinking of introducing some stabilisation on the HV line but that can come later

To me, the HRO looks in quite good/original condition - but I'd appreciate your views on this ! it has a serial number of A297 between the aerial connector and the Audio O/P valve, has what looks like an original fitted audio output transformer, some of the capacitors have been replaced (most likely in the 60's) so I think many (if not all) are original and so will need to be replaced, resistors measured and replaced etc. where needed as a start.

My question is what age do you think age-wise - the badge has HRO-M with what looks like a scratched 'X' - what do you think? contemporaneous with the dog house unit as 1944 ?

I've attached some pictures - advice/views as ever gratefully received - you guys are so knowledgeable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6434.JPEG_small.JPEG
Views:	155
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	244157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6432.JPEG_small.JPEG
Views:	155
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	244158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6427.JPEG_small.JPEG
Views:	144
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	244159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6435.JPEG_small.JPEG
Views:	150
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	244160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6441.JPEG_small.JPEG
Views:	132
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	244161  

Old 24th Oct 2021, 11:35 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: HRO Identification Help Please

That looks to be in fine condition, and I speak as someone who bought their HRO back in 1968. Someone will be a long in a minute to give us the link to the website where all the serials numbers are spelled out in terms of their origins – I cannot currently find the link.

However, you still have all the paper caps, which I have replaced, and I can tell you that many of them fell apart in my hands once they did not have soldered connections to keep them intact. Looks like many of your resistors have been replaced, I'd replace all the originals, they too can fall apart.

Re HT stabilization, it’s good enough if you just supply it to the local oscillator and BFO, which need only a few mA, rather than the whole set.

B
Old 25th Oct 2021, 4:48 am   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The website with all the serial numbers is here https://www.radioblvd.com/National_HRO_Part2.htm.

Looks like your receiver is 1938. Mine is just numbered 194, which doesn't fit in to any production run listed on the site.

B
Old 25th Oct 2021, 10:17 am   #4
ms660
Dekatron

MX denotes Xtal inside the phasing unit, prior to that the Xtal was a plug in job on top of the phasing unit, apparently the MX version started production in 1942.

My favourite receiver, have owned a few in the past.

The audio output transformer would have been a later addition.

The original transformers in the Dog House supply don't seem to like 50Hz.....The ones I had didn't.

Lawrence.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 11:35 am   #5
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

My HRO-MX (purchased in 1959) has the -MX suffix on the front panel name-plate. The S-meter is an uncalibrated 'Marion' wartime job - your S-meter looks to be the earlier version. Also, you have a pull-switch for the S-meter, further evidence of the set originally being an earlier version. The HRO-MX also has a round 'National' knob labelled 'Phasing' and not the pointer knob.

Could it be that your HRO was upgraded by National by substituting the more modern phasing unit with the internal crystal - possibly to meet the wartime export specification for the UK? The scratched-on X would indicate a rushed job but the wiring is fully professional.

Peter
Old 25th Oct 2021, 6:46 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Yes, my HRO has MX on the name plate too. Also have "Phasing " written on the knob.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 6:52 pm   #7
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I'm very jealous of your S meter scale. Mine was black to S9 and Red above.
Now pretty much nothing left above S9. That's a job for a round tuit...
Old 25th Oct 2021, 8:32 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I know it's daft, but I wish these sets to talk and tell us about their lives .

B
Old 25th Oct 2021, 9:55 pm   #9
rutlandboy
Triode

Hi Everyone !

Wow thank you for all the information !- most useful definitely worth doing the work on I think

I'm putting together a BOM for the capacitors etc.

Any recommendations on where to buy from?

I've previously found one eBay seller to have very good quality capacitors at a reasonable cost, and I'm tempted to do the same again, but wondered where other people get their stock from ?

Thanks for all the information - much appreciated !!

I'll post updates as and when I get the chance

Not daft at all Bazz4CQJ ! - I agree it would be wonderful to get the radios to let us know what they'd heard or did wouldn't it - fascinating to think what they might have received or where they'd been!
Old 25th Oct 2021, 11:47 pm   #10
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The replacements for the paper caps are probably not very critical; 400VDC working, film caps of far-eastern origin would do (check them before installing). The resistors will need to be replaced with suitable wattage; something like Vishay would be good.

There are at least 2, possibly 3 electrolytics inside the receiver which will probably need replacement. When I took mine out, they were light as a feather (dry!) with little or no capacitance.

B
Old 26th Oct 2021, 9:09 am   #11
rutlandboy
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
The replacements for the paper caps are probably not very critical; 400VDC working, film caps of far-eastern origin would do (check them before installing). The resistors will need to be replaced with suitable wattage; something like Vishay would be good.

There are at least 2, possibly 3 electrolytics inside the receiver which will probably need replacement. When I took mine out, they were light as a feather (dry!) with little or no capacitance.

B
Thanks as ever Bazz4CQJ all noted
Closed Thread