UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2021, 4:59 pm   #1
jascha
Hexode

Default My Ferrograph modification to silence rattling reels during fast wind

Hi everyone,

I thought I share my recent modification that I came up, made out of a piece of stainless steel and which I wanted to do for some time, to stop the annoying rattling of reels during fast winding for Ferrograph machines and similar others that use the same deck.
I came up with an idea of extending the motor shaft by an extra 1 cm or so, but to the same width as the reel tables themselves. The extra bit screws onto the motor shaft which has been tapped with an M4 tap. With ferrograph motors, the shaft is held to the rotor by a collet type system which means it can be dismantled down to the bare shaft and then put in a lathe for machining. The extra pin was machined out of a piece of stainless steel stock and rounded off with a file.
The motor was then fully reassembled and the pin fitted only at the end after the reel table was fitted onto the shaft as that has to go on last. The reels are then secured to the tables with rubber plugs, commonly used on Akai, Sony, Roberts, Ferguson etc.

I intend to modify my other Ferrograph too, perhaps this time using a screw on bakelite knob which will secure the reels in place, rather than rubber holders.

Hope you all like this idea. I attach photos and a link to a short Youtube video I made.

Cheers.
https://youtu.be/h2JAop_kRS4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image00006.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	243244   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00007.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	243245   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	243246   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00002.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	243247   Click image for larger version

Name:	image00001.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	243248  

Last edited by jascha; 12th Oct 2021 at 5:06 pm.
Old 12th Oct 2021, 6:35 pm   #2
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: My Ferrograph modification to silence rattling reels during fast wind

It seemed a stupid idea, like the Mazda Octal valve base, to have a tape deck that only took (without problems) a special spring loaded 7" reel. I used to have a couple of such reels but they never seemed to like being fitted to a standard reel holder. Not sure where they are now but I think I had already removed the hubs innards to make them fit better to my tape recorder which then was a Robuk machine.
Old 12th Oct 2021, 7:29 pm   #3
jascha
Hexode

Default Re: My Ferrograph modification to silence rattling reels during fast wind

The issue with the Ferrograph decks is that the reel hubs have a very small diameter base and therefore reels don’t have enough support, compared to most other machines. It’s the only modification I could think of as there’s no way to enlarge the base diameter of the reel hubs to provide more support. It’s much better now at least and reel labels won’t get marked or damaged too.
Old 12th Oct 2021, 10:57 pm   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

I think the series 7 had a thread tapped in the shaft for a screw in reel retainer, like a Nagra.
Old 12th Oct 2021, 11:03 pm   #5
jascha
Hexode

It must have a different style of reel hub I guess then to accommodate a thread at the top end of the spindle. This mod works well but I have not yet tried to see if I can fit Ferrograph reels as they’re usually quite a tight fit, but if not then I just unscrew the extra part I added and just use the machine as originally intended with those types of reels.
Old 12th Oct 2021, 11:23 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

My series 7's have the screw on reel retainers, they have a female threaded hole that screws onto a male threaded stud that screws into the reel table.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	243284   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	243285   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	243286   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	243287  
Old 13th Oct 2021, 9:04 am   #7
jascha
Hexode

That’s a different design as the motor shaft protrudes beyond the reel hubs more than most on earlier Ferrograph machines, which can accommodate a thread to be machined on the shaft. The only option for earlier machines is to tap an internal thread and screw on a fastener to lock the reels in place, which thanks to the way their built they can be fully dismantled down to the bare shaft for easy machining on a lathe.
Old 13th Oct 2021, 9:18 am   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
My series 7's have the screw on reel retainers, they have a female threaded hole that screws onto a male threaded stud that screws into the reel table.
Many of the modified features on the 7 came about as a result of a reader survey in Tape Recorder around 1966 - a belated attempt by Ferrograph to find out what the market wanted as opposed to issuing what they deemed was good for it. And then they made the 7...
Old 13th Oct 2021, 9:35 am   #9
jascha
Hexode

I see! I bet one of the issues was this very same problem of rattling spools! Never too late I guess and a solution can be found as demonstrated. Each motor takes a bit of time, around 2 hours from start to finish, a considerable time spent however trying to fit back those metal washers that sit between the motor and the chassis! They’re a nightmare!
Old 13th Oct 2021, 10:02 am   #10
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Many of the modified features on the 7 came about as a result of a reader survey in Tape Recorder around 1966 - a belated attempt by Ferrograph to find out what the market wanted as opposed to issuing what they deemed was good for it. And then they made the 7...
When the A77 came out the Ferrograph sales team must have wanted to slit their own throats.
Old 13th Oct 2021, 10:12 am   #11
jascha
Hexode

Surely also by the time the G36 came out 🤣
Old 13th Oct 2021, 10:43 am   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jascha View Post
The only option for earlier machines is to tap an internal thread and screw on a fastener to lock the reels in place, which thanks to the way their built they can be fully dismantled down to the bare shaft for easy machining on a lathe.
Only easy if you have a lathe and know how to use it

David
Old 13th Oct 2021, 12:01 pm   #13
jascha
Hexode

That’s true, however a lathe might not be needed as I used an M4 tap to make the threads on the shafts and as the extra pin is concerned I drilled it and tapped it with the same M4 tap and fitted an M4 ready made thread from a standard bolt. The latte is handy of course for cantering the holes and if necessary for reducing the pin to the right diameter.
Closed Thread