UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2021, 12:28 pm   #1

Default Can't post a reply...

...to this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=186725 I was going to say potting electrolytics isn't a good idea, they have vents for a reason.

Old 12th Dec 2021, 12:37 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Can't post a reply...

You can post, but all posts there go into moderation so that they can be reviewed before approval.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 1:03 pm   #3

It (the forum) said I didn't have enough privileges and no text input box appeared.

Old 12th Dec 2021, 1:06 pm   #4

Just tried again and this is the verbatim reply.
Quote:
merlinmaxwell, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Old 12th Dec 2021, 1:08 pm   #5
paulsherwin

We will investigate - that shouldn't happen.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 1:24 pm   #6

Thank you.

Old 12th Dec 2021, 2:07 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Good point.... what if the new capacitor in the potting compound needs to vent? and how about thermal dissipation if it's a foam potting stuff?

The tighter you hold the steam in, the bigger the bang.

A bit of silicone or hot melt etc to hold things in position seems OK, but full immersion would complicate things.

It's a discussion worthy of somewhere more prominent than services offered... Worthy of its own thread.

David
Old 12th Dec 2021, 2:31 pm   #8
JonSnell
Hexode

The new components are sat in potting compound, not submerged, for obvious reasons.

I have updated the thread to clarify this point.

Last edited by JonSnell; 12th Dec 2021 at 2:41 pm. Reason: More information added.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 4:20 pm   #9

I see, some capacitors have the vent as a weak point on the top though. I have only re-stuffed a few big electrolytics and then I didn't bother with anything, just supported from the base with maybe a bit of sleeving on some wires. Mine didn't have to meet mil. spec. vibration, posting them may need a little cushioning say a bit of tissue wrapped around the caps.?

For really old electrolytics where the capacitance to volume ratio is low new film types will fit and last for (almost) ever. The old block and wire types can use the modern rectangular film types and they fit in a square hole nicely.

Quote:
and how about thermal dissipation if it's a foam potting stuff?
The modern caps. replacing the old ones will be much better therefore I don't think that would be an issue.

BTW still can't post a reply.

Old 12th Dec 2021, 4:38 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Yes, we have identified the issue. Threads in that section can only be replied to by moderators. We are now deciding what to do about it. Obviously threads started to offer services are not intended to develop into general discussion threads.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 4:58 pm   #11

Maybe a less terse pop up, simply explaining why not. If a member feels it is a dodgy offer perhaps a link to the moderators to mention the fact. This offer wasn't dodgy, I just wanted to point out a potential problem.

Old 12th Dec 2021, 5:29 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As Paul says, threads in that section cannot be replied to by anyone (other than moderators). It is intended for advertising services rather than discussing the advertised services (such discussions would be better by PM with the thread starter).

We will amend the thread title and the sticky to reflect this.

It is being discussed by the moderators but is unlikely to change as the original change was to avoid discussions about individual repair requirements in the section which were becoming difficult to manage.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Dec 2021, 5:35 pm   #13
paulsherwin

If members have any concerns about servicee offered, they should report the post or contact the moderators by PM. The mods will take action as appropriate.

I don't think the popup text can be changed, as it comes from the underlying vBulletin forum software.

This isn't a common problem - in fact, I don't think it has ever cropped up before (hence the confusion in this thread.)
Old 12th Dec 2021, 5:40 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

That is correct, there is no global option for a section that allows threads to be started but not replied to. So it had to be done as a usergroup level, hence the permission error message.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread