UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2021, 10:48 am   #101
Station X

Default Re: Homebrew Record Player. BSR UA6 deck and RS Components. Stereo Amplifier.

Circuit should look something like this, although the need for the choke is doubtful.

What's the value of the smoothing capacitor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	244517  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 10:55 am   #102
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Homebrew Record Player. BSR UA6 deck and RS Components. Stereo Amplifier.

If it's LC then the B+ supply to the amplifier under load would be lower than it would be if it were C or CLC.

Lawrence.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 11:44 am   #103
vidjoman
Dekatron

I think this is the original Radiospares circuit diagram, or part of it.

Name:	sl403st.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	244520

Last edited by Station X; 29th Oct 2021 at 12:15 pm. Reason: Image converted from .gif to .jpg so it displays correctly.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 11:54 am   #104
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
There is also a transformer of unknown heritage between the pickup and amplifier most likely added because the pickup was duff.
Which transformer is that? I think you may be referring to the unnecessary output transformer which was discussed up thread.
Yes that is the one.
With those hand written numbers I would say custom wound for an unknown original use.
That valve power supply choke will have far too much resistance to be in series with the power for a small transistor amp. They normally just have a single capacitor.
It looks like an abandoned project and may never have worked from the start.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 12:54 pm   #105
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
There is also a transformer of unknown heritage between the pickup and amplifier most likely added because the pickup was duff.
From previous it looks like the output transformer is connected between the amplifier board and the speaker.

David
Old 29th Oct 2021, 1:05 pm   #106
Refugee
Dekatron

We still do not know if it was even meant to be an output transformer.
Old 29th Oct 2021, 2:02 pm   #107
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes very true.

David
Old 29th Oct 2021, 2:40 pm   #108
peter_sol
Octode

I think that transformer connected to the speaker is an RS. ( Radiospares) matching transformer. The IC needs 8 or more ohms and no doubt the speaker is a 3ohm one.
The clue is, the snap on cover.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 9:13 am   #109
Bigears
Pentode

That's a big possibility and I may think you are right
Old 30th Oct 2021, 9:29 am   #110
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
I think that transformer connected to the speaker is an RS. ( Radiospares) matching transformer. The IC needs 8 or more ohms and no doubt the speaker is a 3ohm one.
The clue is, the snap on cover.
The 7" x 4" Elac speaker, now seen in the photo, is 99% likely to be 3 ohms.
Old 30th Oct 2021, 11:20 am   #111
Bigears
Pentode

today I found a broken wire on the output transformer I did a repair now I hums and crackle from the speaker, please see picture regards Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211030_110142.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	244594  
Old 30th Oct 2021, 2:17 pm   #112
Station X

Does it now pass the "buzz test"?

Even if it does you'll still need to sort out the power supply for best performance.

Old 30th Oct 2021, 2:28 pm   #113
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigears View Post
today I found a broken wire on the output transformer I did a repair now I hums and crackle from the speaker, please see picture regards Ken
Well that is some progress back to how it was. Is there any identification marks on the output/matching transformer ? would be good to know if it is correctly connected.

Still would be good to get a drawing of the actual power supply wiring connections. Does not have to be a technical drawing just a simple hand drawn sketch showing the mains transformer, bridge rectifier, choke and smoothing capacitor (just drawn as rectangles) showing the wires connections and any terminal identifications on the parts. This is important because there are still unclear questions as to how the mains transformer secondary windings are connected, if the choke is actually required etc.

David
Old 30th Oct 2021, 6:59 pm   #114
Bigears
Pentode

Hi Please see drawing and picture regards Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211030_184255.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	244623   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211030_184848.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	244624  
Old 30th Oct 2021, 7:09 pm   #115
ms660
Dekatron

It's as I thought on both counts (Post#47) series secondary's and LC filter so far as I can see.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 30th Oct 2021 at 7:20 pm. Reason: ref. added
Old 30th Oct 2021, 7:14 pm   #116
Station X

Looks like my drawing in post #101.

I don't understand the spec of the choke though.

Should be something like x Henries at y mA.

Old 30th Oct 2021, 8:07 pm   #117
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well done Ken that clarifies the power supply wiring a lot. The photo confirms that the mains transformer primary is correctly connected.

Can you measure the voltage arriving at the choke input and re-measure the voltage at the choke output to see how much voltage is being dropped across the choke and re-measure the voltage arriving at the amplifier PCB (previously there appeared to be a large voltage drop arriving at the PCB). The previous voltage at the smoothing capacitor seemed somewhat on the low side for the series connected secondary expected output.

Important to do the buzz test from Post # 56 (it is safe to do), this will help to prove if there is any life in the amplifier.

David
Old 1st Nov 2021, 2:08 pm   #118
Bigears
Pentode

Sorry Dave I did the buzz test just before I sent the last pictures and it worked fine but forgot to include it with the pictures
Old 1st Nov 2021, 3:02 pm   #119
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: MONARCH BSR Black Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Would be good if you could identify/close up photo the actual cartridge/stylus that is fitted, especially if it turns out to be a bad cartridge.

David
This is still a valid question especially as the hum test looks like there may be some life in the amplifier.

David
Old 1st Nov 2021, 3:45 pm   #120
Bigears
Pentode

I am getting a reading from the smoothing choke capacitor of 8.28v
A reading from the smoothing choke 2.45v

the input to the mother board is 8v
Closed Thread