UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2021, 1:13 pm   #41
Bigears
Pentode

Default Re: Homebrew Record Player. BSR UA6 deck and RS Components. Stereo Amplifier.

What I have done is to connect the wire form the pick-up arm to the small MB ( the inner wire to the inner and the outer shield to the outer shield.

I don't know if this is right or wrong thing to do!

I have not tried to turn it on as I am in the very early stage of electronics , in fact I know very little.

Regards Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211023_113334.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	244019   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211023_113344.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	244020   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211023_124043.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	244021   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211023_124122.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	244022  
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 1:21 pm   #42
Station X

Default Re: Homebrew Record Player. BSR UA6 deck and RS Components. Stereo Amplifier.

What you're calling the M/B (Mother Board?) is in fact the output transformer which sits, electrically between the amplifier and the speaker. You shouldn't be making any new connections there.

The cartridge/pickup needs to be wired to the volume control as described previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
So far as I can make out the screened cable from the pickup should connect to the volume control (which looks to be the top control in the 1st photo in the last set of photo's) I would say the signal wire (the center lead of the screened cable) goes to the top tag (as viewed in the photo) and the screen (the outer copper braiding) goes to the bottom tag (as viewed in the photo)

Lawrence.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211022_220709.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	244023  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 1:28 pm   #43
af024
Octode

I wonder if that transformer is an 'impedance matcher' that sits between the cartridge output and the amplifier input? I've seen that setup in the likes of the KB Tunetime radiogram.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 1:35 pm   #44
Station X

OMG. There's enough confusion in this thread already. The pictures show a screened lead from the speaker to the output transformer, which has the cover fitted in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	244027   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211023_113344.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	244028  

Old 23rd Oct 2021, 3:28 pm   #45
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

.....er, looks like Co-Ax cable? I'm just getting lost with this Thread.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 4:09 pm   #46
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
There doesn't seem to be any way of turning the player OFF. The orange lawnmower? mains lead goes straight to the mains transformer and there are no connections to the double pole switch ganged with the volume control.
Yes well spotted. Definitely recommend that the mains cable be rewired/re-routed to the on/off switch contacts on the back of volume control and then output side of the on/off switch then wired back to the same black terminal block connections where the Live (Brown) and Neutral (Blue) wires currently connect to.

I personally would go further and replace the 2 core orange (does look like lawnmower typical cable) mains cable with a modern 3 core mains cable, then will be able to connect the earth in the new mains cable either direct to the turntable metalwork or take the earth wire into a spare slot in the black terminal block and from there connect earths as required out to the turntable, PCB (for ground connection) etc.

David
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 4:19 pm   #47
ms660
Dekatron

Mods permitting for voltage ID purposes only (Mains transformer):

https://picclick.co.uk/Transformer-H...html?refresh=1

Secondary = 2 x 6.3Volts @ 1.8Amps, in the player under discussion those two windings look to be connected in series so 12.6Volts AC into the bridge rectifier, from the photo's the PSU looks to me like it's connected as a choke input filter (LC) as it stands, although I could be wrong.

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 4:40 pm   #48
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well found Lawrence, I did wonder if its original purpose was a valve filament transformer, the fact that it is called Fil trans of course being a big clue

Of course the original mains transformer when the unit had valve amp would have had a separate secondary winding for the filament supply.

David
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 8:10 pm   #49
Bigears
Pentode

ok I will unconnect it from the output transformer
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 8:18 pm   #50
Bigears
Pentode

I inform you that this is not my handy work, its just something that I picked up at a car-boot and just gives me something to work on in the winter nights
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 8:23 pm   #51
Bigears
Pentode

yes I was thinking of changing it to a 3 cord and fixing an earth to the turn cable
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 8:32 pm   #52
Cobaltblue

I think in order to get this done everyone needs to step back, myself included and leave it to Lawrence, Graham and Ken.

Further superfluous posts that are of no direct benefit to the OP will be removed.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 9:06 pm   #53
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I think in order to get this done everyone needs to step back, myself included and leave it to Lawrence, Graham and Ken.

Further superfluous posts that are of no direct benefit to the OP will be removed.

Cheers

Mike T
Various things to do up and coming so if no comment or a longer than usual delay in replying from me then that's the reason.

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 10:57 pm   #54
Bigears
Pentode

OKay Graham I have connected the screened cable to that volume control, also can you check to see if the screen cable is connected to the pick you arm correctly one wire is black the other is red, please view the pictures I am send ing with this message regards Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211023_223304.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	244073  
Old 23rd Oct 2021, 11:00 pm   #55
Bigears
Pentode

volume control
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211023_223105.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	244074  
Old 24th Oct 2021, 10:56 am   #56
Station X

The connections to the wires going to the cartridge look OK.

It's difficult to tell as far as the volume control is concerned. The picture is not clear. The wires from the cartridge should go to the two outer tags. The wires from the amplifier should go to the top tag and centre tag.

If the wiring is correct it's time to try a "buzz test". Apply power and turn the volume and tone controls to maximum. Hold a small screwdriver by its blade and touch it on the centre tag of the volume control. If the amplifier is working you'll hear a loud buzz or hum from the speaker.

Old 24th Oct 2021, 12:01 pm   #57
vidjoman
Dekatron

The volume control appears to be wired the wrong way round from the picture. What are the blue and brown wires also attached? I presume they are connected to the amplifier board as input and screen - earthy one.
Old 24th Oct 2021, 12:05 pm   #58
Station X

Yes the blue and brown wires go to the input of the amplifier.

Old 24th Oct 2021, 12:06 pm   #59
ms660
Dekatron

Ref. Post#34, the detail wasn't too clear in the photo's submitted up to that point when I was trying to figure out what went where....

.....So, Ref. Post#55 photo which is much clearer....So far as I can make out the screened cables inner conductor should connect to the top tag and the braid should connect to the bottom tag.

The two wires from the amplifier.....The one that's connected to the middle tag should be connected to 9b on the amplifier board and the one that's connected to the bottom tag should be connected to 8b on the amplifier board:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...5&d=1488317786

Apologies for the confusion.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 24th Oct 2021 at 12:12 pm. Reason: link added
Old 24th Oct 2021, 1:04 pm   #60
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Hi Ken,
While you are dealing with the connections to the volume control, you might consider replacing that TV co-ax cable with some audio screened lead. You might even already have some lying about like this for example.

Name:	screened.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	244096
As you will have found, that thick coax is difficult to solder and make a neat job, and is not really intended for this purpose.
Closed Thread