UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2019, 10:57 am   #241
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: What vintage equipment did you actually use today?

Lat night I was listening to Question Time on my early and small 1970'S Philips 90AL072 portable radio and later the late news and Business report on my 1975 ITT Colt.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 5:46 pm   #242
Herald1360
Dekatron

I suppose you could count my Moulinex electric knife- it's at least 35 years old (owned from new) and long obsolete. Last time I wanted replacement blades I managed to find some on Ebay offered by a guy in Greece!

It's mostly used for bread slicing duities, but has cut up moderate amounts of expanded polystyrene sheet for shed insulation and the occasional foam rubber blocks. Last use for that was earlier this year to trim a foam sheet to fit in my caravan.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Nov 2019, 7:41 pm   #243
kalee20
Dekatron

Bush DAC90a.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 7:44 pm   #244
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Today: around 06:30GMT the timeswitch fired-up my Eddystone 840A "bedside radio" and I tuned-around 3.790MHz to see if I could still hear any east-coast Canadian/American hams.

Got up, cancelled the Eddystone. Headed for the shower and turned on the Roberts R707 to listen to "Heart FM" while I had a shower/s**t/shave. The R707 is brilliant as a bathroom-radio because it goes loud-enough so I can still enjoy the music over the sound of the shower.

Out of the bathroom: Heart FM provided by my Roberts R606 [powered from a homebrew LM317-regulator Vellemann kit built into an Eddystone diecast-box] with a signal while I toasted a few bagels for breakfast.

On-the-road: put out a few CQ-calls on 144MHz using my Yaesu FT2400RH radio [it's 20+ years old, does that count as vintage?]. Nobody replied.

Back home: now listening to Classic-FM on the Teleton GT-202 tuner I bought for my late father back in the 70s [which I inherited when he died] playing through my rather-modern-built-though-ancient-design stereo amp [two 6BR7, two 6BW6, BY100 rectifier-bridge].

Tomorrow I'll be giving my 1970s-era Clansman PRC320 HF radio a bit of a workout; Iceland on 5.3MHz is easy with 30 Watts of Plessey-IC-powered SSB.
Old 16th Nov 2019, 12:01 am   #245
Tim
Dekatron

My GEC "Selectest" meter, to measure the "Y" plate current on my OS3000 I am trying to repair.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 4:38 pm   #246
broadgage
Nonode

Used an old AVO today, for a "second opinion" when a more modern instrument gave an unexpected reading.
Also used a vintage cordless drill, the supplied battery is long defunct and it is now used from an external 12 volt battery.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 4:57 pm   #247
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Right now I'm listening to Classic-FM on my Bush VHF81. Earlier today I used my late father's Bosch hammer-drill - which was one of the first hammer-drills sold to the DIY market in the very-early-70s - to drill a hole through brickwork so I could install an antenna-feed coax and outlet.

I've also used my late-70s Hewlett-Packard HP33-C calculator [which has developed the 'bad-conductive-foam-contacts' issue so some of the LED segmentsare a bit dodgy] . Later tonight my Clansman PRC320 will get some use, no doubt.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 6:02 pm   #248
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
I suppose you could count my Moulinex electric knife- it's at least 35 years old (owned from new) and long obsolete. Last time I wanted replacement blades I managed to find some on Ebay offered by a guy in Greece!

It's mostly used for bread slicing duities, but has cut up moderate amounts of expanded polystyrene sheet for shed insulation and the occasional foam rubber blocks. Last use for that was earlier this year to trim a foam sheet to fit in my caravan.
I bought one of those in the early 80's when I worked for Rumbelows and it still gets a workout on a regular basis! but only in the kitchen by the lady.
Still as good as new.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 8:41 pm   #249
Panrock
Nonode

My Hacker Sovereign II has been playing Jones College Radio on 327 metres via an SSTran 'pantry' transmitter. The batteries must now be getting very low but this set seems to go on regardless.

Steve
Old 20th Nov 2019, 11:44 pm   #250
SMD Tech
Retired Dormant Member

Most days I listen to a pair of Technics SB-R3s from the 1970's fed from an early 90's Linn LK100 connected to a Sonos ZP80. I prefer the sound from my garage system to pretty much every more modern system I have, with the exception that I love the kidneyshifting bass from the pair of SBS PB2000 subwoofers in my living room, but for actual musicality and warmth the Technics speakers sound great. Just a shame the missus wont let me take them into the living room.
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 12:30 pm   #251
sortedradio
Heptode

Today I used my Triplett 3414 valve tester, or perhaps I should say tube tester.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6387.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	194141  
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 4:25 pm   #252
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

A tad unusual, considering im just south of Huddersfield, but an 80s vintage handheld marine radio direction finder.

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 4:55 pm   #253
vidjoman
Dekatron

Used for the last 40 years is my bedside LED clock. All original components and although I took it apart to clean the front see through panel and checked the electrolytic capacitor no replacement was necessary. Having mentioned it tonight it’ll probably go wrong.
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 6:47 pm   #254
Sinewave
Octode

Two Avometers!
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 7:19 pm   #255
dglcomp
Heptode

Vintage-ish Black and Decker mastercraft drill, the telefield UHF Yagi antenna in my gran's loft to watch TV and the Belling Format cooker to make breakfast, lunch and tea!
and last weekend the Philips Hostess trolley, a godsend when making a roast meal.
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 7:33 pm   #256
PaulR
Dekatron

I suppose the GL75 deck, HK 730 receiver and B&W DM3 speakers I am listening to now would count. The cartridge is new, though
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 7:49 pm   #257
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

So far today, apart from several Roberts radios, the only notable bits of 'vintage' used are my [somewhat modified] Pye PCR to listen to a couple of broadcast-stations on 6MHz and the Larkspur R209 Mk.II for a tune round the 7MHz amateur-band.

The PCR seems to have a bit of a low-sensitivity issue - though I replaced all the "waxies" a decade or so back I didn't replace any of the nasty drifty carbon resistors. I'm suspecting a RF/IF-stage screen-feed may have decided to go high.
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 8:49 pm   #258
Bob_Moss
Pentode

Dansette 111 in the kitchen for the Today programme, Sony Minidisc in the car (used daily, recording optically from my Sony XDR-S1 4-band receiver (side issue, how many radios have DAB and Long Wave), then my 1976 Ferguson 3127 (purchased new) in the study.
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 9:43 pm   #259
Hartley118
Nonode

Checking out a batch of 78s from our local Cancer Research UK shop. Using my elderly Dual 1214 turntable with half-century old Shure M55 cartridge fitted with 2.8 mil elliptical stylus. Good punchy sound.

Martin
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 10:57 pm   #260
Sean Williams
Dekatron

BT Cheetah 85 Teleprinter, Siemens T68d Teleprinter, Rockwell VFD calculator, and an EKD300 DDR shortwave receiver.