UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2019, 9:25 pm   #1
WME_bill
Octode

Default Solartron AS1410 power supplies

I have been asked for information about the AS1414 power supply, one of the AS1410 family.
When introduced in 1964, they were well ahead of other designs as they used a pulsed SCR to switch the input feed so that the series pass transistor only had about 5 volts to drop at the chosen output voltage and the power dissipated was kept down.
I find it very convenient to use, with the current meter full scale being effectively at the current limit setting and the digital voltage setting.
I attach a specification sheet covering all models as it may be of general interest. I have the full manual and PCBoard layouts.
wme_bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AS1410 series psu_specifications-wm.pdf (814.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 12:35 am   #2
M3VUV51
Banned

Default Re: Solartron AS1410 power supplies

sounds like a clever idea,be nice to see the schematic to see how they did it.
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 2:07 pm   #3
jez_145
Pentode

Default Re: Solartron AS1410 power supplies

Yes, they are a good supply and well ahead of their time as you say. Mine is still going strong (attached) though I tend to use a modern triple supply most of the time these days. I'm not sure how old it is but I've had it at least 26 years and the company I worked for must have had it even longer - probably from new. I acquired it when they were skipping old kit prior to a move.

I've attached a rough pdf, which is similar to the previous upload but includes a couple of circuit diagrams if anyone is interested.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solartron_AS1414.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	192301  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solartron_AS1412 & 1414 psu_circuits-wm (1).pdf (909.2 KB, 80 views)
Closed Thread