UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2019, 3:35 pm   #1
Mark_BX
Retired Dormant Member

Default HP 54501A Timebase cal error

I have just pulled an old HP 54501A 100Mhz scope out of the back of the cupboard after 10 years and sadly it has a problem.

The first problem was the DS1230Y battery had died, no surprise, but changing it to a DS1235Y fixes that. It now boots up and calibrates fine.

The second problem is that the 10Mhz timebase clock is now missing in action. Error displayed is "failed interpolator cal". I know it is divided down for the 40Mhz crystal but that is all I know. Anyone with any advice on where to start tracking it down?

When I try to cal it using C700 as per the instructions I get an error of signal missing.

Thanks all...
Old 8th Oct 2019, 4:15 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: HP 54501A Timebase cal error

It's a long time since I got involved in repackaging 54xxx scope circuitry onto smaller boards for an MMS plug-in version.

The timebase clock clocks the ADC for sampling, but there is a deliberate dither applied. A counter says roughly when a sample was taken, but an analogue interpolator measures the additional timing between clock ticks. This becomes a saved charge on a capacitor which gets wound back more slowly and the unwinding time counted. This increases the time resolution and it also increases the effective sampling rate for repetitive signals.

I wouldn't want to dig into that area again without the CLIPS (Component level service info package) data available.

David
Old 8th Oct 2019, 4:20 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: HP 54501A Timebase cal error

Memory has stirred, it was the 54503A version that was repackaged to become the 70703A

500MHz bandwidth. 4 channels. It had two Motorola 20MHz ADCs, so if you used all 4 channels, each only got 50% of an ADCs full attention.

Essentially, these are digitising scopes for slow waveforms, but become sampling scopes when going faster.... when they work only for repetitive waveforms.

David