UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2022, 6:00 pm   #1
wireman
Heptode

Default Computing at Chilton

Not sure if this counts as 'vintage', please move if not.

I came across this site, it takes me back...

http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/

Originally found it looking up information about remote job entry to a system I once used.

You need to explore lots of menus to get a feel for all the content as the top menu changes based on context and the 'literature' tab points to a lot of material.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 6:36 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Computing at Chilton

That brings back memories. I had a number of remote job entry workstations linked to RAL computers in the pre-JANET days, and then looked after a bunch of CAMTEC X.25 PADs and SEEL TelePac / Transpac gateways.

Building R20 (Atlas Centre) was full of interesting people and things.
I thankfully avoided any involvement with the disaster that was the ICL PERQ.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 6:57 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
That brings back memories ...
Indeed. I cycled/walked/was driven past R20 every day I was on the main RAL site, where I worked for 20-odd years.

I remember once being shown into a room with a false floor and my guide then lifted one of the floor panels. Underneath was a layer of loose 1/4" co-ax cabling (RG59 or some such ?). Apparently it was a couple of feet deep !

Cheers,

GJ
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 7:03 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

That coax would have been RG62A/U 93 Ohm stuff used to feed IBM 3270 display stations. Plenty of buildings in the City of London were only supported by the mass of such cables in the vertical riser ducts...
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 11:23 am   #5
ScottishColin
Octode

Some of the support staff who decommed equipment in a DC at a place I worked used to simply stuff the cables under the false floor. After some time (many years) we had to spend a lot of time lifting and (carefully) pulling it out as it started to cause dew problems under the floor.....

Colin.
Old 14th Sep 2022, 3:10 am   #6
ortek_service
Octode

Thanks for the useful link. I only found out about the Atlas, on a visit to a (quire-rare) open-day at Harwell-RAL a few years ago.

Although the original Harwell Dekatron (later re-homed and re-christened WITCH) , can be seen running at Bletchley Park's TNMoC - Where it is apparently the World's oldest original complete Electronic Computer (As earlier ones there are replicas, as originals were mostly all destroyed)
Old 19th Sep 2022, 2:39 pm   #7
BassoonBloke
Pentode

I still have the last GEC 4070 Mini from RAL that was saved from the skip.
I still think it's a great bit of kit. I've had some success in getting it to do something of interest as well.....

Alan.
Old 19th Sep 2022, 3:55 pm   #8
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassoonBloke View Post
I still have the last GEC 4070 Mini from RAL that was saved from the skip.
I still think it's a great bit of kit. I've had some success in getting it to do something of interest as well.....
I vaguely remember using one of those sometime around 1980. One of the most interesting programs was a thing called Adventure ...

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 21st Sep 2022, 9:45 pm   #9
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Hi Stuart,

I would so much like to find some programs that ran on the GEC, there is next to nothing out there and i have really tried all different things.
I have some old core memory boards that i believe may still contain something of interest.
What was your connection with the GEC's ?

Alan.
Closed Thread