UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2022, 4:34 pm   #1
ScottishColin
Octode

Default Aesthetically pleasing repair

As some of you may recall, one of the failures I had on my PET was the loss of Ground connectivity on UD9 pin 12. I've got past this by pushing a wire in pin 12 of UD 6 and UD9 - see attached photo.

I'm pretty sure that even though this works, it isn't the 'right' way and was wondering what you would do in this situation?
  • Fix the pin12/UD9 problem if possible
  • Solder a wire under the board from UD9/12 to an earth
  • Solder a wire on the top of the board from UD9/12 to an earth
  • Leave well alone
  • Something else

All opinions gratefully received.

Colin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220910_152020911.MP.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	264529  
Old 10th Sep 2022, 5:34 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Aesthetically pleasing repair

I would want to do it properly, with an appropriate link on the underside of the PCB.

"Verowire" - available from RS, is insulated wire that is very thin, traditionally dispensed frtom a "wiring pen" that includes a spool. The wire is 'self-fluxing' - no need to strip, the heat of the soldering-iron melts through the insulation.

This is great for making quick-and-dirty but long-term-reliable amendments to PCBs; there is even a special quick-set glue and 'combs' avasilable to keep the newly-added wire-links neatly in place.

https://www.instructables.com/PCB-Pr...With-Verowire/
Old 10th Sep 2022, 6:25 pm   #3
Mark1960
Octode

It looks like the 0v connection to pin 12 is on the top side of the pcb. As you used a turned pin socket you might be able to remove a bit of solder resist from the 0v track and solder pin 12 of the socket directly to the 0v track.
Old 10th Sep 2022, 7:01 pm   #4
Phil__G
Octode

Whichever way you choose, write it down on a slip of paper that lives permanently under the PCB!
Old 11th Sep 2022, 8:10 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
under the PCB!
And that's also where I would do the repair, on the underside of the PCB, by linking UD9 socket pin 12 to UD8 socket pin 12 with a piece of thin insulated wire like 'kynar' or 'wire wrap' wire. If I were Colin.

If it was me, I would have to know where the problem really was and I would start by using a hot wire or hot scalpel blade to slice the frame of the turned-pin socket up into little bits so that each socket pin stood alone and could be individually desoldered and removed, leaving only the pads to be cleared, examined and repaired as necessary. Then, I would fit a new conventional socket because whatever their drawbacks compared to turned pin sockets, they are much easier to remove and replace.
Closed Thread