UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2017, 1:05 pm   #21
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: New hard drive for Pentium IV

Excellent. Enjoy
Old 6th Sep 2017, 7:37 pm   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That looks like the SFF version of the ones Unrealdave was selling.
Old 6th Sep 2017, 10:56 pm   #23
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaby View Post
I'm using an i7 CPU on Windows 7 with no problems. Didn't Microsoft backtrack on ending support?
Core up to and including Skylake (sixth generation) is fine with Windows 7. It's Kaby Lake and newer that are not supported with Windows 7. If your Core i7 has a three digit (first generation) processor number or one starting with a 6 or lower, it will work with Windows 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I like the idea of that bomb proof HP! I think I may go for this, from that same range.
I'd have leaned towards the one MrBungle suggested, the 8000 was the last Core2 Duo based HP, the 8100 was Core so newer architecture. The 8000 will be around 7 years old. It did hang on a little while though (released around October 2009, discontinued early 2012) being the last of an old architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
That looks like the SFF version of the ones Unrealdave was selling.
I think Unrealdave's were either 6200 or 6300 Pros - both are newer, the equivalent Elites were the 8200 and 8300. Second and third generation Core. The difference between Pro 6x and Elite 8x is minor - the Elite has a longer product lifecycle for convenience in imaging, for example currently the EliteDesk 800 is G2 with sixth generation Core, while the ProDesk 600 has transitioned to G3 with seventh generation. Sometimes the Pro has a slightly lower chipset, for example, Q65 in the 6200, Q67 in the 8200 or Q150 in the 600 G2, G170 in the 800 G2. I generally quote for whichever is on a better promo!

I have attached the QuickSpecs for the 8000 Elite and 8100 Elite.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HP Compaq 8000 Elite Series.pdf (1.51 MB, 162 views)
File Type: pdf HP Compaq 8100 Elite PC.pdf (1.08 MB, 131 views)
Old 6th Sep 2017, 11:02 pm   #24
MrBungle
Dekatron

If it's any consolation I've got an 8000 here running Windows 10 fine (the kids' PC). And two 8100s (wife and file server). I thought they were all 8100's. I can barely tell the difference.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 10:23 am   #25
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
I like the idea of that bomb proof HP! I think I may go for this, from that same range. It has win10 but should be no big deal to 'downgrade'. I could do that as and when I get hold of a 1TB drive.
Good choice. I have bought several in the UK for around £40 each when they were being decommissioned from the corporate market and flogged on Ebay.They are built like tanks inside with sophisticated cooling etc and plenty of USBs.Most of them had a clean Win 7 install on(after disc wipe), which at the time you could upgrade free to Win 10 and doing so went without a hitch.
Some were AMD some were Intel it didn't seem to make any difference to the type of tasks we use a computer for.

It has it's own graphics of course,however you can easily add an up to date graphics card but will need the 'desktop' back plates and if you need both VGA and HDMI etc sockets you will need two slot spaces as VGA is usually a plug in option these days.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 7th Sep 2017 at 10:41 am.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 11:33 am   #26
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

New IDE drives are on Ebay at £9.99 for 160Gb.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 1:04 pm   #27
paulsherwin

These will be NOS though, as they haven't been made for a while.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 1:37 pm   #28
AC/HL
Dekatron

Scrap Sky+ boxes are a source of 160Gb discs. The HD boxes are bigger, but not IDE.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 3:57 pm   #29
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thanks Paul,I did not twig NOS.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 4:45 pm   #30
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Scrap Sky+ boxes are a source of 160Gb discs. The HD boxes are bigger, but not IDE.
Sometimes you find the original HD has failed and been replaced with a 320GB unit. They're certainly worth grabbing if you see them being chucked out.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 7:36 pm   #31
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: new hard drive for Pentium IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I don't think you would be wise to put much time and money into this - as has been said in other threads, P4 systems are noisy and power hungry.
I'm not sure about the "power hungry" bit, but the five P4s I use here are not particularly noisy (in the audible sense) at all.

Al.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 8:35 pm   #32
ben
Dekatron

Well, less than 24 hours after ordering that PC I now have another!
This morning whilst out looking for something entirely unrelated, I spied a PC tower next to a bottle bank. It seemed intact so I slung it in the car. At home I discovered it is an HP dx5150 (MoBo MS7050 v1.3) fitted with an AMD ATHLON 64 3500+ 2.19Ghz, has 1GB PC3200 DDR400 RAM installed and a 500GB SATA drive!

After a thorough declogging of the fans and heat sink, it powered up fine. It is an XP era machine so even though it is newer than my current clunker it is pretty ancient. Still, I will probably whack Win 7 on there with a bit more RAM and keep it as a spare, or source of spares.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 9:04 pm   #33
paulsherwin

Default Re: new hard drive for Pentium IV

Good find! This is still a P4 era machine, but one of the later examples (it will be from 2006 or 2007). It should run W7 well enough, though you will need to buy a retail version. Why not stick Linux on it and have a play around?

I probably have a few 512MB DDR sticks lying around if they are any use to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I don't think you would be wise to put much time and money into this - as has been said in other threads, P4 systems are noisy and power hungry.
I'm not sure about the "power hungry" bit, but the five P4s I use here are not particularly noisy (in the audible sense) at all.
You are very lucky then! The big drawback with P4 processors is that they generate an awful lot of heat. This normally means they are fitted with massive heatsinks and powerful fans. Of course, the idea of what constitutes 'noisy' will vary from person to person, and some are fitted with intelligent CPU coolers that will minimise the fan noise when the CPU isn't working hard. The positioning of the system unit can also reduce the subjective noise level.

The heat problem is the main reason that Intel stopped trying to use higher and higher clock speeds and went for multiple core designs instead.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 9:28 pm   #34
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
At home I discovered it is an HP dx5150 (MoBo MS7050 v1.3) fitted with an AMD ATHLON 64 3500+ 2.19Ghz
Paul is correct, it's a late XP era machine (the Quickspecs say "HP recommends Windows Vista Business" but the changelog goes back to 2005, with the system being retired on 13/8/07). I don't know if the '5' series machines were ever seen here - I would have been doing the dx6120 around the same time, so it's possibly not a model that was sold in this region. Looks like an AMD version of the 6120 though - workhorses, I would have replaced the last couple at one client around the time that XP was running out of extended support, although most clients had replaced them long before then.

Maxes out at 4GB, but it came from an era of 32 bit operating systems so it'll be fine. If you want Windows 7 on it, you'd need to find an unused retail packaged copy - there is no other currently available legal path other than open license. It's far older than anything I'd consider using though!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HP dx5150 Business PC.pdf (1.18 MB, 161 views)
Old 8th Sep 2017, 12:04 am   #35
ben
Dekatron

Thanks for the specs, very useful.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 11:37 am   #36
ben
Dekatron

The new PC arrived this morning. I have powered it up briefly and it is indeed extremely quiet, booted fine (w10).

Before passing all the data over from old PC to new, I was thinking about putting the 500GB SATA drive from yesterday's find into the new PC as a second drive. That would give me some 750GB to play with, not far off my initial idea of 1TB. There are spare SATA terminals on MoBo and cable.

There is, however, limited space inside the new SFF desktop. I think it would fit into the blank bay reserved for floppy drive or card reader - anyone advise on that?

The next step would then be to format it and check for errors. I read these PCs have some sort of SMART auto diagnostic. How best do I go about this?
Old 8th Sep 2017, 11:44 am   #37
MrBungle
Dekatron

I have one of the SFF units as a file server. There's a 256Gb SSD under the DVD drive and a 2 Tb drive in the floppy bay. I managed to break the SATA connector off the DVD drive so I'm just leaving it in there as a large blanking plate!

I use this to read the SMART data: https://crystalmark.info/software/Cr...o/index-e.html

Edit: the above isn't the case actually. . I'm going to open it and have a look quick. One min!
Old 8th Sep 2017, 11:51 am   #38
MrBungle
Dekatron

Ok I've taken it to bits quickly. In mine the SSD is underneath the power supply on a mounting bracket (the power supply just levers up) and the 2 TiB disk is underneath the DVD drive.

There is no floppy bay. So many PCs - getting confused!
Old 8th Sep 2017, 12:04 pm   #39
paulsherwin

You can install an additional drive anywhere it will physically fit. Good airflow is nice but modern drives don't run especially hot.

If you take the drive out of your kerbside find you won't be able to use it for anything other than parts, though I guess you could fit the small disk from your original system - it will be big enough to play around with Linux or whatever. That's assuming the kerbside box has an IDE interface, though it probably does.

Rather than swap disks around, you might want to invest in an external 500GB or 1TB USB drive in a caddy. These are extremely convenient and versatile, and can be plugged into different computers as required. The performance is almost as good as an internal drive.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 12:08 pm   #40
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

If the hard drive is the original HP supplied one, then on the disk will be a small sector that deals with general house keeping of the HP computer, because it is hidden it obviously never gets wiped..this should alert you when there are SMART issues etc.
Closed Thread