UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2006, 3:52 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default Strange Philips - BX480

I acquired this in the week. ( found in a skip ! ) A bizarre set if ever there was ! No less than 3 different valve ranges in the same set. Were Philips using up whatever old parts and chassis they had to hand ?? The AZ1 is about to fall off the RH end by the looks of it !!
Does anyone have any service data for this - I THINK it's worth salvaging ( although in a state, as you can see ! )
Thanks A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bx480rear.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	4606   Click image for larger version

Name:	bx480front.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	4607  
Old 20th Jul 2006, 4:36 pm   #2
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Strange Philips - BX480

Hello,
Had something similar last year but in a wooden cabinet; Never got round to doing it up as I swapped it with a lot of other stuff! But I do remember the dial lamps were some very odd voltage indeed (22volt or higher)?
Phillips made some oddball stuff!
Paul.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 10:30 am   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

This will be a great sounding set. I've attatched the circuit to this post. It may be somewhat unconventional but continental designs tended to be more elaborate. Lots of feedback in the output stage. Notice that the cathode of the output valve is earthed and a negative bias is applied to the grid from the HT minus return. That means that one of the cans of the smoothers will be floating above chassis. Be careful if replacing not to earth the can.

Good luck with it

Rich.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Philips BX480.pdf (226.9 KB, 157 views)
Old 21st Jul 2006, 11:58 am   #4
yestertech
Nonode

Richard, thanks for the circuit ! you're a star ! I get the feeling this one may have to jump several places up the "rountuit" queue !!
I've tried with AC to light the dial lamps - the edge lit perspex dial looks mighty impressive !!
Old 21st Jul 2006, 12:56 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Just realised that circuit does not show component values so another attachment added!

The full circuit is available here:
http://radiotechniek.cjb.net/radiotechniek.php

You will need to register first (free) and then you can download circuits for many continental sets.

Rich.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BX480 parts list.pdf (292.4 KB, 130 views)
Old 21st Jul 2006, 11:21 pm   #6
joe
Rest in Peace

Andy

That was a lucky find - and well worth restoring. It doesn't look all that bad from the photos.

From the circuit its about as quirky as Philips get, and hails from one of the distant lands beyond the Channel. Should be fun. good luck.

Joe
Closed Thread