UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2022, 6:01 pm   #1
ortek_service
Octode

Default A very-vintage (and small) 1960's PROM Diode-Matrix

With current interest in fusible-link PROM's, I thought this 1960's Radiation Inc. (Before they became Harris) Mil-Spec (and cost?) - I've just had an update the de-capping of about - may be of interest, and it looks to be one of the earliest of this type:

https://twitter.com/TubeTimeUS/statu...12778782588930

Would need quite a few of these to hold even a very basic monitor program etc. so might be more suited for fairly-simple logic substitution with a small look-up table.
Old 4th Dec 2022, 6:37 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: A very-vintage (and small) 1960's PROM Diode-Matrix

The first of the attached photos shows the bootstrap ROM from my PDP8/e system. The top half of the board is a diode matrix ROM, (a little larger than the one mentioned above) the rest of the board acts like the 'frontpanel' and effectively loads the contents of the ROM into the machine's core memory

The second photo is one of the four core memory planes -- 8192 12-bit words of storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M847_MI8E_BootROM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	269339   Click image for larger version

Name:	H212_Core_Plane.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	269340  
Old 4th Dec 2022, 7:26 pm   #3
ortek_service
Octode

Thanks for that - I'd not come across a discrete-diode one before (although I do recall a PW Doorchime project from around 1980, which had a matrix of diodes on a long PCB, to program the tune to be played).

Looking at that PDP-8/e Boot-ROM board, I'm guessing the size was 32 x 12bit Words judging how it is laid-out.
Old 4th Dec 2022, 7:34 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

Isn't that PDP board a core ROM instead of a diode matrix ROM?
Old 5th Dec 2022, 6:06 am   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Isn't that PDP board a core ROM instead of a diode matrix ROM?

The H212 (second photo) is normal read/write core memory.

The ROM board is certainly a diode matrix. I have the schematics, the technical manual, etc. And yes, I think it is 32 words of 12bits.

I also have, but no photos, the M792 diode matrix boot ROM in one of my PDP11s. That's 32 words of 16 bits and simply appears in the processor address space.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 9:32 am   #6
Realtime
Hexode

Any chance you could post the schematics for the diode array? I'm really interested to see what logic overhead was required for that (small) amount of ROM.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 9:51 am   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

My first foray into CB radio was with a mostly homebrewed setup, and the problem of how to generate the 40 often non-consecutive 9-bit parallel codes for the PLL synthesiser came up. (I didn't have a 40-position channel indicator / encoder switch and saw no way of obtaining one).

I did seriously consider using diodes to generate the codes for every single channel, but then realised they could be supplied from an appropriately programmed EPROM. Not knowing much about EPROMs, I unwittingly bought an expensive 2708 with its nightmarish supply rail requirements for both programming and normal operation. In the end I think I just used a DIP switch for channel selection for a couple of years...
Old 6th Dec 2022, 10:09 am   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I can't find the MI8E (boottstrap diode matrix ROM) schematics on-line, I should have them on paper but as they're A3 sheets they won't be trivial to scan.

There's a fair amount of nformation including partial schematics and theory of operation in pages 137-153 of volume 2 of the PDP8/e maintenance manual which is avalable from bitsavers in this directory :

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp8/pdp8e/

There's a surprising amount of logic on the board, mostly to make it emulate a front panel.

A similar manual for the PDP11 32*16 ROM (which does include schematics) is :

DEC-11-HBMAA-E-D_BM792_Read-only-memory_and_MR11-DB_Bootstrap_Loader_Jan75.pdf

available from here :

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/unibus/

DEC were using fusible-link PROM ICs by that point. The reason that the bootstrap roms were diode matrices was that they could be modfied using normal tools (side cutters and a soldering iron), you didn't need aPROM programmer.
Closed Thread