UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2018, 9:49 pm   #21
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Charging Sealed Lead Acid Accumulators (SLA's)

Herald #16. When you get to much smaller sizes, I guess the higher surface area comes into play. Gel cells SWELL if overcharged, wet batteries boil off acid.
Bikerhifinut, Yes, most bikes have a simple voltage control, but (unless quite flat), the battery terminal voltage will rise quickly, reducing the charge rate to something more acceptable. Back in "dynamo days", cars had a more sophisticated controller that allowed maximum current at start up, but quickly reduced that maximum, before either the dynamo overheated, or the battery did.
As mentioned in another thread recently, I bought a battery "tender", marketed as a Yuasa. It claims a de-sulphation phase (higher voltage pulse charging), but careful scope checks clearly show it does not happen. For general purpose use, however, it is a useful device that gets over my forgetting to switch off the charger. * I just went out to the shed, suddenly remembering there was one on current limited charge, which should have been switched off about 6:00pm.
BikerHFN again. I have measured all those varying control voltages on 'bikes. I conclude that modern bikes with fuel injection demanding power are the ones producing up to 15.2v. My 30+ year old Ducati engined bikes all have around 14.0 to 14.3 volts. Not checked a modern Enfield.
Les.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 8:35 am   #22
Mooly
Octode

You may not observe a pulse charge mode unless it is connected to a deteriorated battery.

Try connecting it to a variable PSU set to around 17 volts (with series feed resistor of say 50 ohms) and see if anything happens then on the scope.
Old 13th Apr 2018, 10:00 pm   #23
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Mooly, I quite specifically choose a battery that I know is well sulphated. It is useful for use in an alternator regulator testing jig I have built, as it quickly reaches "full charge", and equally quickly looses voltage with a simple 30W lamp load.Connected "tender" to battery, likewise scope, switched on. DC only, absolutely no pulsing!
Les.
Old 14th Apr 2018, 1:09 am   #24
trobbins
Heptode

Jolly, the battery you purchased would have manufacturer and model details on it - have you been able to get a generic document from the manufacturer as to their recommended charging instructions - always defer to the manufacturer's instruction before anything else imho.

That said, I have the Aldi charger and use it for my instrumentation 6V and 12V small vrla monoblocs, as well as the other half's motorbike vrla battery as the charger allows continuous connection with a low trickle (which although is not pedantically temperature compensating, gives me some confidence that the battery and bike residual power requirements are being met).
Old 14th Apr 2018, 8:26 am   #25
Mooly
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorBikeLes View Post
Mooly, I quite specifically choose a battery that I know is well sulphated. It is useful for use in an alternator regulator testing jig I have built, as it quickly reaches "full charge", and equally quickly looses voltage with a simple 30W lamp load.Connected "tender" to battery, likewise scope, switched on. DC only, absolutely no pulsing!
Les.
Fair enough. The wording of your first mention of the charger seems to imply an element of doubt over the provenance of the Yuasa. Could it be fake ?

I would do more tests though, both with other batteries and also a PSU to be 100% sure. Maybe the battery is to far gone and the charger recognises that.

Lots of data sheets on Yuasu site showing and explaining the charge cycles of the various devices available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	161096  
Old 14th Apr 2018, 10:27 pm   #26
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Mooly, I am satisfied it IS a Yuasa, but whether the Yuasa is a clone of company XXX identical model or vice virsa, I can not say. Sorry, I can't remember the make right now, but identical in every way except for the name on the charger and box. I have tried it on a number of batteries, but only one other where I have simultaneously "'scoped it".
Les.
Old 15th Apr 2018, 1:05 am   #27
Jolly 7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobbins View Post
Jolly, the battery you purchased would have manufacturer and model details on it - have you been able to get a generic document from the manufacturer as to their recommended charging instructions - always defer to the manufacturer's instruction before anything else imho.

That said, I have the Aldi charger and use it for my instrumentation 6V and 12V small vrla monoblocs, as well as the other half's motorbike vrla battery as the charger allows continuous connection with a low trickle (which although is not pedantically temperature compensating, gives me some confidence that the battery and bike residual power requirements are being met).
The battery is Maplin branded but there do not seem to be any charging instructions on their website. Having said that, I found out that they also sell a 6v/12v/24v SLA autovoltage sensing charger online, which was not there in my local Maplin store the last time I went there. I might order it online after all before they close down completely. By the way, I also popped into my local ALDI and they had no SLA chargers in stock.
Closed Thread