UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2018, 12:13 pm   #1
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default WS19 with coloured knobs.

Many years ago as a young and reluctant National Serviceman I was volunteered by the OC to go on a radio course. Being interested in radio from age 10 or thereabouts I didn't protest too much and indeed looked forward to it.

It was a disappointing course badly run involving no technical work but learning how to operate 19 sets, all of which had coloured knobs, as in - "turn the red knob for a peak" etc. There were probably about ten sets in the classroom all with coloured knobs. Nobody cared about the RF from several sets tuning up at the same time.

The knobs looked to be the original pattern and through coloured, not painted.

I've owned many 19 sets since but have never seen one with coloured knobs. Has anyone else ever seen one? I've always thought of it as a special but if it was surely other training regiments would have had them.

The training sergeant demanded that we pronounce audio as "aurio" so as you can imagine it was not the most fun course and we didn't learn a lot.

Jim 805 Last three!
Old 8th Apr 2018, 1:56 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: WS19 with coloured knobs.

The 1154T transmitter is the set arguably most noted for coloured knobs though.

Many of us used to listen to the "Echo Charlie" nets around 6.6MHz. The young Combined Cadet Forces squaddies seemed to do their operating "by numbers" as it were, I wouldn't be surprised if their CO painted their 19 set knobs.
Closed Thread