UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2015, 8:44 pm   #1
oceanobsession1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Avo mk1 and calibration help required

Can anyone help with checking the calibration of my machines please , I have
read the manual but I'm finding it confusing , I have a fluke multimeter if I were to use the b9a valve holder to take readings and set circuit selector to
test I would need to know the correct pin numbers to test for voltages , and I think I would need to buy an amp meter to set the meter scale . thanks phil.
Old 26th Oct 2015, 9:33 pm   #2
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: Avo mk1 and calibration help required

Phil,

I take it we are talking about an AVO Mk.I valve tester?

Richard
Old 26th Oct 2015, 9:43 pm   #3
oceanobsession1
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Richard, I have one mk1 and two mk2 that need checking, recently purchased and the mk1 seems to read about the best and the other two seem to read low. cheers phil.
Old 27th Oct 2015, 9:05 am   #4
trh01uk
Octode

Phil,

right, well the AVO Mk.2 manual can be downloaded from here.

That manual includes a page on calibration (see page 28). It also has the schematics of the Mk.2 and Mk.1

I can't find a manual for the Mk.1 - though someone on here may be able to supply one. I suspect the calibration for the Mk.2 will work equally well for the Mk.1, though that needs checking.

I am no expert on these VCMs, and there are people on this list better placed to advise than I am. I will however point out that these units do not use a simple smoothed DC supply system. They use "rectified AC", effectively half sine waves. This means that you generally need a "true RMS" voltmeter to get an accurate RMS measurement.

Reading the calibration method for the Mk.2, I note the instruments specified are:
  • AC voltmeter
  • "A moving coil DC ammeter" - AVO 8 for instance
  • valve voltmeter

I don't have time right now to study this calibration process to see exactly what they mean by a "valve voltmeter". Chances are that you can substitute a modern DVM, but that needs confirmation.

Richard
Old 27th Oct 2015, 11:44 am   #5
oceanobsession1
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, thanks Richard for your thoughts. I have the manual but its hard to understand and make sense of.
I've only got a Fluke multimeter so I will need to borrow some instruments to check the calibration. thanks phil.
Old 28th Oct 2015, 7:52 am   #6
trh01uk
Octode

Phil,

just to add a bit more on manuals, you may have noticed my recent thread on the "Testers, Valve, AVO, No.3". If you read that you will see that the AVO Mk.I and Mk.II only differ in minor ways, mostly cosmetic. That means that the EMER for the military version is also relevant - and its available on the net.

In EMER Y814, which describes repairs, setup, etc, paras 21 to 28 cover setup and performance testing. Reading that, it seems you need an Avometer 50 range Mk.2 and it seems straightforward to me if you go through it step by step. As far as I can tell, the AVO required is the AVO 7 Mk.2, which has 50 ranges.

The AVO7 was particularly insensitive, with a loading of 500 ohms/volt. That is crude by modern standards, but given that the calibration is given for that instrument, a modern meter with much lighter circuit loading is likely to give different results.

Which Fluke multimeter do you have?

Richard
Old 28th Oct 2015, 9:29 pm   #7
oceanobsession1
Retired Dormant Member

Hi again Richard and thanks for taking the time to help with this matter, my
fluke is a 110 true rms multimeter, I think you may be right due to the tester
being rectified ac you need an analogue meter to get a smooth reading ,
where the digital meter goes up and down so its hard to determine what its
reading , so I think I need to purchase another meter , I will take a look at the
manual cheers for your help phil.
Old 28th Oct 2015, 11:37 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Sorry, but a true RMS meter is definitely NOT right for this job. the whole thing hinges on the response of a rectifier/moving coil meter to halfwave sinusoids. A true RMS meter will tell you the equivalent heating voltage of all sorts of waveforms. I'm pretty certain AVO never needed true RMS instruments in making VCMs.

Calibrating the most important measurement of these instruments was handled by the availability of calibrated valves.

David
Old 29th Oct 2015, 10:02 am   #9
trh01uk
Octode

David,

I am sure you are right - the Fluke 110 isn't suitable. That's why the EMER at least is quite specific about the use of the AVO 7 which will take average readings, though it may well be calibrated for RMS voltage on a sine-wave.

I haven't studied the detail of the calibration process, and it may be that the low impedance of the AVO 7 is also a factor - at least if the published procedure is to be used.

I think some members of this list have offered calibrated valves in the past.

Richard
Old 29th Oct 2015, 2:05 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Ironically, true DC testers like the Sussex and Dave Simpson's unpronounceable special are ideal machines for calibrating valves, and they themselves canbe calibrated by normal meters.

David
Old 29th Oct 2015, 11:44 pm   #11
trh01uk
Octode

And presumably if a DC test is what is required to produce a calibrated valve, then it should be fairly easy to take a particular valve, connect up the necessary supplies - and calibrate it?

Presumably the calibration involves setting precise anode and screen voltages, and monitoring anode and screen currents for a particular value of grid bias. And then getting the gm?

Richard
Old 30th Oct 2015, 12:40 am   #12
oceanobsession1
Retired Dormant Member

Just looking at some of these ampmeters on ebay for setting the mu meter
on the avo mk2 , which would be a good buy if any me phil.
Closed Thread